Can we have a poisoning wildlife game mechanic?

Link1714

Could Low% Raw Meat Decoys be used to poison wolves?

Also, would that make the wolf meat unusable or as long as you cook it you're ok? Maybe you can kill wolves with it but you can't harvest the meat cause it's tainted. That way it's kind of balanced because it's a very low-cost way of killing or injuring a wolf, so you shouldn't get the same reward for it. It'd be too easy to kill wolves with any raw meat you had spoiling about. You could still take the fur and guts for other usage, however, so there's still a benefit to using it.

I think the %chance that the wolf get food poisoning should be low also to balance it.

EDIT 1/11/2015

Okay, okay its not realistic to poison a wolf with raw meat. how about just having a way to poison them then?

Epic idea. Really, REALLY epic idea.

Thanks!

I don't think wolf would eat the same as vulture :)

Haha I know but they don't act like real wolves, and I've already tried it and they eat the raw meat no matter what condition its in, but I didn't observe an effect.

It's also a risk for the playe rbecause you have to let perfectly good meat spoil. It'd be too abusable if it was a low calorie count too. It should have to be a full piece of meat. Idk this is a very rough plan. Let the devs take care of the rest if they think its a good idea. I've got to make breakfast.

Dogs are scavengers as well as hunters. We've taken old meat that is slimy and nasty and dEFINITELy would give you food poisoning and fed it to our dog. He loves that stuff and it makes no difference to him.

You shouldn't say, "you're not interested in that much realism with the animals."

Because what you're actually saying is, "you're interested in completely unrealistic animals."

Dogs can eat pretty much anything and not get sick from it. Pretty much.

Dogs are scavengers as well as hunters. We've taken old meat that is slimy and nasty and dEFINITELy would give you food poisoning and fed it to our dog. He loves that stuff and it makes no difference to him.

You shouldn't say, "you're not interested in that much realism with the animals."

Because what you're actually saying is, "you're interested in completely unrealistic animals."

Dogs can eat pretty much anything and not get sick from it. Pretty much.

Yeah, that's why I said it. It's a video game. I don't pull out an encyclopedia every time I pick up a controller and make sure everything's realistic. So maybe you can't use raw meat for it, but you could still poison the meat. I don't need to cite "real life" examples but I could for you. There, some nuanced thought instead of the same "this wouldn't be realistic" argument that's all over this VIDEO GAME FORUM. Fortunately I'm not here to tell you how to talk or think.

Thanks for condescendingly attempting to educate me about a dogs digestive system. I hope you continue to feed your dog exactly what you want all the time.

Don't worry I can read pretty much any post and not get sick from it. Pretty much.

I was merely trying to explain it, if you, like so many other people in the world, had no idea how/what dogs eat, which was the impression I got from the comment.

I do apologize as I was not trying to be condescending at all. Just insightful.

You'd think everyone in their life had seen a dog eating a carcass off the road that had been there 2 weeks in the sun, but... you never know.

Feeding your dog meat that you purchased, that you can no longer eat, that they LOVE is sickening to you?

Or is it just my post is sickening to you because I feed my dog stuff that is a week old?

I'm unclear on what you're being snarky about?

Also, lets talk about turning our stomachs. Killing with a knife to defend yourself. Killing with a rifle instantly. Or killing with poison, slow, painful and full of humanity for the animal.

Lets not forget, poison is a woman's weapon...but I guess it is a survival situation. :geek:

In the end, I was just trying to explain something. I guess what my response in my first post in this thread should have been, "-1", and left it at that.

ermmmm Lux, poison is not a woman' weapon, and you saying that might stir feminazis (not feminists, they are different) from their nests, and then we have to deal with that. Poison is a good at killing things from a distance (when you leave it and move on), or something that requires a time delay. It is used by both genders (just to point that out, since you'll incite a shitstorm of anger otherwise) equally.

Also, people, calm down, this is not the place to brawl. Do that on the Steam forums. this is a place for constructive criticism and debate, not attacking each other for diverging opinions.

Eh. I'm good.

Just tired of the realism argument being crammed into every forum. "A woman's weapon" lol. What a stupid thing to say. And no, I don't care about the pain of the animals. Especially in a survival situation. (and a video game to boot) Animals die horrifically in the wild all the time.

"A woman's weapon" lol. What a stupid thing to say.

I didn't make it up, that saying has been around for a long long time.

Further Most Foul: Poison as a gendered weapon in Shakespeare

Dara Kaye

Shakespeare’s characters use potions or poisons in six plays, but in only one, Hamlet, is poison wielded by a man.

While poison is the weapon of choice for women committing or attempting murder in Shakespeare, it is consistently framed as an indirect, dishonorable tool in opposition to straight forward violence. Furthermore, poison causes greater anxiety than other violence, because it allows those with lesser physical strength, wits, political power, or other means to prevail over those with greater power, and is therefore potentially a force against tradition, order, and hierarchy. This paper considers Shakespeare’s emphasis on poison as a female weapon,gives some historical and critical context regarding its use, compares Shakespeare’s use of poison as a plot device to other dramatists’ of the time,and explores how Hamlet’s Claudius, the outlier in this pattern, is dishonored by choosing poison as a weapon.

That's where it came from, Shakespeare.

In any case, obviously tribesman use poison on arrows and blow gun darts to kill animals. To be lethal the poison must be crafted. So you'd have to craft a poison and put it on the meat as bait. Bad meat isn't doing anything to a dog. :P

Now if we combine poison with the 'not-yet-included-but-hope-it-gets-implemented' bow and arrows... then add in the blood tracking mechanics already in the game, we have a recipe for in-game fun.

"A woman's weapon" lol. What a stupid thing to say.

I didn't make it up, that saying has been around for a long long time.

Further Most Foul: Poison as a gendered weapon in Shakespeare

Dara Kaye

Shakespeare’s characters use potions or poisons in six plays, but in only one, Hamlet, is poison wielded by a man.

While poison is the weapon of choice for women committing or attempting murder in Shakespeare, it is consistently framed as an indirect, dishonorable tool in opposition to straight forward violence. Furthermore, poison causes greater anxiety than other violence, because it allows those with lesser physical strength, wits, political power, or other means to prevail over those with greater power, and is therefore potentially a force against tradition, order, and hierarchy. This paper considers Shakespeare’s emphasis on poison as a female weapon,gives some historical and critical context regarding its use, compares Shakespeare’s use of poison as a plot device to other dramatists’ of the time,and explores how Hamlet’s Claudius, the outlier in this pattern, is dishonored by choosing poison as a weapon.

You seem to have a problem confusing distaste for your comments with someone not understanding them. Again, I'm well aware of where the phrase comes from. It doesn't make you appear less ridiculous for saying it. It only serves to make you look even more condescending. I'm not even sure why you're still here if you're not interesting in developing the idea, or rather, why I'm still talking to you.

If anyone wants to talk real life again in this god damn post, there's been a wolf poisoning operation going on in Canada since 2012 using strychnine poison bait. So it's no longer unreasonable even to "realistic" obsessed people in this game to understand that we could wish for poison to be added to this game.

You seem to have a problem confusing distaste for your comments with someone not understanding them. Again, I'm well aware of where the phrase comes from. It doesn't make you appear less ridiculous for saying it. It only serves to make you look even more condescending.

You're funny. I would've thought your replies different had you been aware of the answers. Of course you are aware now, so we can all say anything that suits. Its water under the bridge.

I'm not even sure why you're still here if you're not interesting in developing the idea

Now if we combine poison with the 'not-yet-included-but-hope-it-gets-implemented' bow and arrows... then add in the blood tracking mechanics already in the game, we have a recipe for in-game fun.

Clearly I'm not trying to further the topic, or, as it turns out, berating commenters.

Apologies too if you feel I'm being condescending. As stated, was just sharing information that I believed to have been "common place". I didn't expect to be personally insulted for making a comment to a reference of Shakespeare.

If anyone wants to talk real life again in this god damn post, there's been a wolf poisoning operation going on in Canada since 2012 using strychnine poison bait. So it's no longer unreasonable even to "realistic" obsessed people in this game to understand that we could wish for poison to be added to this game.

That would have been a nice way to start the original post. Most of us don't live in Canada and have/had no idea wolves are being bait poisoned. Of course the original topic has also been changed since then too. I do like that you welcome discussion.

peace

I suppose poisoning meat as a deterrent wouldn't be a terrible idea, but I have an aversion to poisoning wolves. Knife them, yeah, shoot them fine, but poisoning them? where's the challenge? you cannot even eat them afterwards.

Oh, and with regards to the "Woman's weapon" nonsense, the reason for it during Shakespeare's time was because the overall majority of women were not strong enough to wield a sword (I'm male and I would like to think I am reasonably strong, and I think I'd struggle with medieval swords) simply down to the genetic propensity to be of slighter build.

Nowadays, we don't mess about with swords, and women are just as deadly with rifles as men are:

[bBvideo 560,340:2bduflt5]

[/bBvideo]

Well some people have too much of a challenge dealing with wolves with those methods, myself excluded. Besides, maybe it could be used on other wildlife introduced, such as a bear or something else larger than a wolf that might be more dangerous.

You're also incorrect about being able to eat meat from a poisoned animal. It's not impossible. It's all about how much poison you use. But its not only meat that is useful anyways. Maybe some people want a way to kill wolves that doesn't cost hp(knife struggle) or bullets (rifle) and in order to balance that, making the meat unavailable would be acceptable.

Something like a bear would yield very valuable fur and gut, possibly claws or other things they might let us use (provided they do add bears) and you could get some of the exterior meat that might have lower levels of toxins in it. I hate having to stoop to the low of measuring the realism at every turn but i'm trying to meet people halfway.

It depends on the poison, as the poisons used by certain cultures to capture fish do not persist in the meat, however something like strychnine I think would persist, and believe me, you do not want to swallow something tainted with strychnine (captain obvious reporting for duty). You'd be better off setting baited traps to kill wolves. A bear trap or a trapping pit with spikes at the bottom would do fine, rather than messing around with chemicals which may or may not backfire on you.

I can think of a number of poisons I could derive from plants here in Wales, but I'm not sure if they grow in Canada. Do you have Digitalis purpurea in Canada? I Think you could also use Amanita phalloides (Deathcap mushroom) to create a letha poison, but you'd have to be careful preparing it, as the proteins that act as the poison get damaged by heating and boiling.

Archived