Watch your backs out there....literally!

Treasurer

Okay I am not sure what happened. In short i died after 145 days with 13 bullets in my pocket hundrets of matches and the dam unlooted. A wolf killed me and thats what startles me. I mean I "grew up" with wolfs. I started in Coastal Highway. It was my second play and i had the Gas station as my base for 70 days, so i lost all fear of wolfs. I know how to fight them, how to avoid them and i use them as hunting aids. This was the least possible cause of death I expected.

I was going back home to the Trappers Cabin full of rabbit meat from my snares(lived for 60 days from rabbits by then btw) but as i was near this fence leading to the door a wolf came from behind the big rock formation to the right from the path. That was the first time I saw a wolf spawning there so he caught me a little off guard. But only for a split second. I decided i could make it to the door before he catches up on me and just kept on sprinting. That worked already many many times and think i have a good feeling for the distance at which this is still possible or when a flare or fighting is inevitable.

NOT THIS TIME! As it was a close one and i haven't had the time to look back i just sprinted straight towards the door but the wolf caught up way earlier than i expected. I think i was encumbered more than i thought but the difference between walking and sprinting was very noticeable so probably not much or not at all. Maybe the steep path slowed me down more than i expected. But these are all minor problems since its only one wolf so i thought: "OK he got you, a pity, one bandage less,". So i just did the mouse clicking and after 3 charged hits i already hit TAB and stared to move my mouse to the left upper corner to click on first aid. But for some reason the screed looked differently. It took me some time to realize its was the death screen and it said something about shock from wolf attack and blood loss.

I still don't know what to think of it. My condition was 96%, i clicked very fast as i always do. Usually i can take on two wolf fights and still have 30% condition left so thats out of question. The only thing i can think of is that the wolf attacked me from behind. Does anybody know if they have some damage bonus when they do that? Is the "shock" message a hint on that?

So i guess in this game one can never feel safe anywhere. I think I like that. For my next game I'll try to always face them before the fight starts. Not sure if it helps in stalker mode....

I got attacked by a wolf right next to the entrance to Trapper's Homestead. I just stepped outside, and there was a wolf eating a deer not 10 meters away. I was planning on hunting anyways, so I lined up and tried to shoot him in the head. He immediately jumped up, and engaged me. I started at 100%, and was at -35% in less than a second.

Could be a number of reasons... could have been the slight delay in wolf surprising you with attack mode first let it get in a couple of additional big attack hits... if you were fatigued, encumbered, or had other condition deterioration effects active, that may have been just enough to tip the balance in the wolf's favor... if you had (for whatever reason) not had a weapon and ended up in a hand fight battle, that can change things... some of your strikes and hits might not have struck as hard or didn't have the scare off effect (so you would have been forced to keep fighting in a weakened state)... or it may have been luck of the draw that the wolf got in better hits this round...

So many possibilities - have had the same happen myself, and when fatigued it's even harder to fight, so that's one level I monitor very closely. Even LMG got a little too cocky and over confident with a recent wolf fight - and one slight delay was all it took for the wolf to remind him "Never Take A Wolf For Granted" ;)

You can win 100 fights against wolves - They only need to win once :lol:

But these are all minor problems since its only one wolf so i thought: "OK he got you, a pity, one bandage less,". So i just did the mouse clicking and after 3 charged hits i already hit TAB and stared to move my mouse to the left upper corner to click on first aid. But for some reason the screed looked differently. It took me some time to realize its was the death screen and it said something about shock from wolf attack and blood loss.

Oh man, wish I could see your face then :mrgreen:

The big danger with the Trapper's cabin is complacency. Most of the time the puppy will spawn somewhere in the forest to the left, well away from you above the old barn. You can even let it take deer for you. But it has paths that take it right to the door of the cabin. I make a habit of always doing a wolf check first, and I never leave via the pathway because of blind spots. Instead i head out behind the cabin, run to the top of the ridge line and then double check. Then I work my way around the right, where the pup rarely appears. It's a matter of checking your corners, always, before entering an area. I'm nearing 80 days and will soon have 50 without firing a shot, so it's working.

There are also wolf paths that cross right through the bunny farm by the downed snag, though 95% of the time no wolves are there. Got to really watch it. I almost got nailed there because I failed to see him coming down from the ridge line.

Archived