Purpleater Survival Log

Purpleater

That's exploiting oversleeping in my books, only thing that's impressing me is your patience to play in such a boring way :mrgreen:

I agree. The problem I find is that once I'm stocked on supplies, sleeping is the only sensible option. I could go run around for the sake of running around, but that feels silly in a survival situation. Once you reach a point where you have a base that is fully stocked on supplies, the only reasonable thing to do is sleep until food/equipment deteriorates to the point where you are forced into doing something to survive again. I don't particularly like sleeping this much, but I don't see it as an exploit. It's just the only logical thing left to do.

In the end, I killed myself on this run once I had lived 1,000 days. I still had stockpiles of supplies to last hundreds of days, but I couldn't bring myself to keep going. I traveled back to Mystery Lake (I was living on Jackrabbit Island) and jumped off the big rock in front of Trapper's Homestead. The first suicide attempt only took me down to 19% condition and sprained my ankle, so I ate some painkillers and jumped again.

In talking with other players, it has occurred to me that something seems odd with my longest survival experience. I almost never got food poisoning from raw meat. I'm curious what other players think of this.

Try opening the survival log attached to this thread and search for keyword "raw." You'll see that I often ate raw meat. A lot of this was in bad condition because I was usually stretching my food supply for as long as possible and eating the lowest quality food first.

Then try searching for keyword "poisoning," and you'll see that I only contracted food poisoning twice the entire time. At a point I even thought food poisoning had been removed from the game, because I was 146 days into my run before I ever got sick.

I've heard other players say that they get good poisoning more often than this, so I started another stalker run to test my experience. I ate a bunch of raw meat (lowest quality possible), and I've already contracted food poisoning 3 times in 12 days.

Is this just luck/coincidence?

In talking with other players, it has occurred to me that something seems odd with my longest survival experience. I almost never got food poisoning from raw meat. I'm curious what other players think of this.

In earlier versions, players were getting hit with food poisoning pretty frequently (even after each meal at times), so the devs tuned the food poisoning way down.

Now it can still happen, but it seems relatively rare (as can be seen by how many people now just eat spoiled food, or even low condition raw meat without issue).

It's mostly just a balancing thing... the devs will likely adjust the settings again soon. They may or may not have them in the next update [food poisoning is likely low priority for right now given the focus is on new map and wildlife being added], but I'm pretty sure they will readjust the balancing at some point if they feel it's needed.

Don't forget, with early playing sessions where we were all used to getting hit with it pretty much every game, we likely notice its absence more.

I got hit so hard by food poisoning on the last versions that i didn't even considered the option now... i was just glad i wasnt getting any from cooked meat at lower than 20% condition.

Purpleater's log shows food poisoning only twice over the 1000 days, and a lot of eaten raw meat. Anyways, cooking meat make it last much longer, right now i think raw meat loses something like 1 condition point per hour.

In earlier versions, players were getting hit with food poisoning pretty frequently (even after each meal at times), so the devs tuned the food poisoning way down.

Now it can still happen, but it seems relatively rare (as can be seen by how many people now just eat spoiled food, or even low condition raw meat without issue).

It's mostly just a balancing thing... the devs will likely adjust the settings again soon. They may or may not have them in the next update [food poisoning is likely low priority for right now given the focus is on new map and wildlife being added], but I'm pretty sure they will readjust the balancing at some point if they feel it's needed.

Don't forget, with early playing sessions where we were all used to getting hit with it pretty much every game, we likely notice its absence more.

I guess it was just luck that I got food poisoning so rarely during that run. I can't figure anything else out. I do know that the rate of food poisoning has been much lower since the v.170 update. I started playing in v.166 and food poisoning was rampant. Antibiotics definitely felt like the weak link for long term survival back then. But even with the reduced rate since v.170, only getting it twice in 1,000 days while eating lots of raw meat and low quality food strikes me as odd.

On my current run, which I started purely to test food poisoning, I've gotten it 4 times now in 14 days. I've been trying to test eating raw meat in various conditions (like while dehydrated, while below 75% condition, etc.) to determine if there's any bug/trick to avoiding food poisoning. But on this run I seem to be getting it no matter what.

Purpleater's log shows food poisoning only twice over the 1000 days, and a lot of eaten raw meat. Anyways, cooking meat make it last much longer, right now i think raw meat loses something like 1 condition point per hour.

I cooked most of my meat for storage purposes. But I would usually eat the scraps (anything under 1kg) raw. And I would often eat rabbits out of my snares raw before going on a hunting/supply run. And if I had a surplus of meat then I would only cook enough to last 40-50 days and fill up on the rest raw. So it all added up to a decent amount of raw meat. During that run I also ate lots of my cooked meat at the last possible moment, when it was at <3% condition, and never got food poisoning from doing that.

Try opening the survival log attached to this thread and search for keyword "raw." You'll see that I often ate raw meat. A lot of this was in bad condition because I was usually stretching my food supply for as long as possible and eating the lowest quality food first.

Then try searching for keyword "poisoning," and you'll see that I only contracted food poisoning twice the entire time. At a point I even thought food poisoning had been removed from the game, because I was 146 days into my run before I ever got sick.

I've heard other players say that they get good poisoning more often than this, so I started another stalker run to test my experience. I ate a bunch of raw meat (lowest quality possible), and I've already contracted food poisoning 3 times in 12 days.

Just stumbled upon this. Not sure if it is luck or not but I will post my log when I die and I may have gotten food poisoning MANY times. I can't remember, but I know i have on my older save. And I only eat raw meat if its over 85% and usually only if its above 95% to boot. I got it from 95% and up raw fish as well several times. Almost got me killed several times.

This was on voyageur.. Stalker, I had food poisoning 2 times in a 30 day run. Both from high quality raw meat.

Archived