Awesome new details with Steadfast update

Sito

Have you noticed the new bird sounds? The wind? The sky?

Today I stood on my porch on TWM hut during a raging blizzard and notice that the snow  blowing is exactly how it is IRL. Then the wind died down and the snow fall turned from heavy  to light with the distance view coming from near to far exactly as IRL.

Good job Hinterland! You know exactly how a Canadian winter with (cant spell apocolpis?) would be like.  

If you are from a warm country, welcome to the Great White North :)  This is what it is like in winter in Canada in some places.

In the game lore something happened to the atmosphere so that everything became cold so that even southern British Columbia became extremely cold. We don't have blizzards in real life. Need to go far far north for that. But Canada is big, cold, dark, and has long dark nights.

• Like 2

To be honest, I hadn't realised there were new environmental effects with the Steadfast Ranger update, but I did have a similar experience to what you describe just the other day while playing.

I was trudging through wind and snow in poor visibility between Jackrabbit Island and Misanthrope's Homestead to pick up some animal hides and deliver them to my sweatshop at the townsite. My character was cold and tired and hungry and I just wanted to get him inside as soon as possible, warm up, have something to eat and put that particular day behind me. But just as I was passing the fishing hut between the two islands, the weather started to ease. The snow ceased, the cloud lifted and the wind dropped, and suddenly I could see the mountains in the distance and the ocean off to my right. I could hear the waves lapping on the ice and a flock birds chirping as they flew overhead. It stopped me in my tracks. I just paused to stand and admire the view of the landscape and the evening sky, my character's pressing survival needs suddenly gone from my attention.

I've had many real life experiences where the natural environment has had this effect: walking in some beauty spot and coming across an amazing vista, and just stopping to stare for a while. But I never really even considered that a videogame could provoke that feeling, or anything approaching it. I've never been to Canada, so I couldn't comment on how authentic it is as a representation of that part of the world, but it does remind me of Highland Scotland sometimes.

It's a massive achievement, I think.

(Apocalypse, by the way!)

I keep noticing new things as I move to each region. I expect PV to be equally awesome once I finish with TWM. I love PV!

Thanks for the spelling. My brain simply can't remember how to spell these Greek or whatever words. Nor English for that matter.