My aim has gotten worse since the update?

piddy3825

Is it just my imagination or has aiming with the rifle deteriorated with the update?

I've got my rifle use up to level 4 on my current play through, having read all the books, done  numerous repairs on the 18 rifles I have collected  and am currently sitting on 18 shots fired and 17 hits recorded.  (i almost use the survival bow exclusively)  Anyway, I wanted to work on achieving the level 5 on rifle so I equipped myself for an on overnight outing, out on the ice on Coastal Highway.  Figure I can hunt deer or wolves quite easily and maybe even a bear if there happens to be one lumbering about.  

I head out from the gas station across the ice heading towards Jack Rabbit Island when I see my first group of deer ahead in the distance.  I close the gap walking upright as far I can without spooking them away and drop down in crouch mode to get a little closer.  I rest momentarily to bring my breathing and fatigue  back in line so as to have the best sight picture as I slowly take aim, line up my near point blank shot and with plenty of time remaining squeeze off a round...  MISS!  WTF?  I wasn't necessarily expecting a one shot kill, but no hit, not even a craze.  Just to make sure I pull up the journal to check the stats and yep, shot fired recorded as a miss.

I repeat this no less than three times...  can't hit a flipping thing with the rifle, but was able to stand up and hit the deer with rock!  Yeah, a rock. ?!?

What do i need to unlearn or relearn now in order to be proficient using the rifle?  

We expect bullets to travel in the direction the gun barrel is pointed.  They don't.  In TLD they travel from the sight post out to the center of the camera view at infinity.  The orientation of the picture of a gun means nothing in this virtual world.

It's broken.  Best practice now is to line up your shot before pulling the zoom and fire regardless of what the sights show.  If you can find ways to get the selection dot up on the screen while you are shooting it could be your new best friend.

On 5/23/2019 at 1:02 AM, GothSkunk said:

That's because they fixed it.

@GothSkunk, I'd appreciate a more in-depth explanation of the new aiming mechanics.

Because in my game (version 1.50) it works exactly like selfless says, projectiles always go to the center of the screen regardless of sway and/or skill level. Game is "pure", no modifications, nothing.

When Steadfast Ranger was first introduced, a number of players -- myself included -- noticed that with the new rifle and bow aiming mechanic, shots that would have been killshots in previous versions were now missing by a substantial margin. One user put it to the test, starting a new survival game, grabbing the first rifle they found in Mystery Lake, and going out to the camp office where the park sign was. He then took screenshots of his aiming for the A on the french side of the Mystery Lake tourist sign, showing what he was aiming for, and where the rounds were ending up.

He demonstrated that his shots were ending up significantly lower then where he was intending for them to go. Rather than hitting the 'A' in 'Lac Mystere,' the rounds were ending up underneath the word 'Mystere'

So Hinterland hotfixed the aiming mechanics in v1.50. Now, shots with the rifle end up exactly where you want them to, so long as the rear sight and front post are aligned to indicate the rifle is properly trained.

If you shoot while your sights are NOT aligned, your shot WILL likewise be off-center. 

Edited by GothSkunk