Vince 49

Does Installing a New game retain Badges?

If the answer to the title question is 'Yes', wonderful.  If not,  it looks like I, and others who are running Rugged Sentinel (1.37) and bought their game from GOG, are stuck at Rugged Sentinel forever.  GOG has patches from 1.33 to 1.37 and 1.47 (Vigilant Flame) to 1.48 (Steadfast Ranger), but no patches from 1.37 forward.  I wrote to Hinterland Support, but haven't heard back yet.  I do understand they are quite busy with the new update right now.  I did hear back from GOG support and their answer was a polite tough luck, you can always install Galaxy.  If they don't have a patch to download for 1.37 forward, would they have such a patch implemented in Galaxy?

The issue, of course, is the badges.  Although I didn't keep track, it must have taken me more than 200 hours of game play to earn the Fire Master badge.  Who would want to do that again?

Even at Rugged Sentinel, The Long Dark is a wonderful game, although I really would like to play the latest.

Your badge progression is tracked in a file housed at C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark\user001

I'm not sure if that file would be preserved on a reinstall or not, but if you make a copy of that file prior to reinstalling, you can manually paste it back into that location, thus preserving your feat progression.

Thanks @ajb1978, I found that file on my system and saved it.  I'll wait a day or so to see if I can get an official answer to my original question.  If not, I'll try installing a new game and using that file--after I finish my current game.  I've got a promising Interloper game going right now.  If I don't die, I might be at it a while.  :)

@Vince 49, if I understand your question correctly, GOG does offer a full install of TLD V-1.48.1, as shown in the screenshot below.

GOG.png

Hi Hawk,

Yes, I am aware of that.  The issue, as I said in my OP is, if I do a full install, do I loose my badges?  That's what I'm trying to find out.  Hopefully, someone from Hinterland will answer in the next day or so.  For the patches, I definitely don't.  Unfortunately, as you can see, GOG has no patch for 1.37 forward.

Posted (edited)

You can run that full install from GOG on top of your existing install. This would update you to the latest version plus keep your existing saved games plus your user file(s) - badges/feats.

Installing that new version doesn't change anything in the AppData folder. That only changes when you load and save the game. However, installing to the newest version may affect saved games, in particular Story Mode saves but may affect Survival Mode saves.

Just in case, if you want, as @ajb1978said, just back up the files he said. After the install, if you did lose your badges/feats, just copy those backed files into the folders.

I have, in the past, had to install a full version over an older existing version because sometimes, as you can see, GOG doesn't offer proper patches except for Galaxy users, which I am not one of.

I recommend contacting GOG support about this as well. They know how their patches work. They're usually pretty good about replying back within 24 hours. Especially on week days.

I was told by GOG support one time not too long ago that they no longer offer patches for download backup but they do with Galaxy. I can't use Galaxy because my gaming rig isn't connected to the Internet so I can't confirm what he (GOG tech guy) said. I was actually quite surprised this time when they offered the 1.47 to 1.48 patch.

Edited by Hawk

Hi Hawk,

As I mentioned in my OP, I did contact GOG support.  They could not help me unless I wanted to use Galaxy, which I do not.  Thank you for the other information.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Vince 49 said:

Hi Hawk,

As I mentioned in my OP, I did contact GOG support.  They could not help me unless I wanted to use Galaxy, which I do not.  Thank you for the other information.

I completely overlooked that. Sorry! :$

From what I've read on the GOG forums, I wouldn't use Galaxy even if I had an Internet connection.

Maybe you'll hear back from Hinterland today or tomorrow.

Edited by Hawk

I received a response from Hinterland today related to my request for support on how to update without loosing badges and saved games.

They said: "Updating The Long Dark to Steadfast Ranger (v 1.48) will not effect your badges or save files...".  Although several have posted on this thread that they thought this was the case, it's good to see it officially confirmed by the publishers.

Posted (edited)

@Vince 49 - Glad you heard back from Hinterland with an answer to your query and thanks for posting their answer. :)

Edited by Hawk