A kinu cloth-torch as an additional and improved torch variant

XAlaskan_420X

So I had this idea recently. The idea is the addition of a torch that requires one piece of cloth and a 4 or 5 ounces of oil from the jerry can to create. It is a cloth soaked in oil wrapped around the torch, the part that you light. And this torch would last 10 in-game minutes longer and adds +2 fahrenheit more than the regular torch to the player "feels like" temperature. 

Now, in real life you can use pine resin and alcohol on cloth, but neither of those are in the game. We can talk about if whether or not adding those items in to the game for the torch would be a good idea, I think we should really explore this idea of an improved torch and exactly how it should work, if be in the game at all. I am sure everyone has different opinions on this. Including the time, how much longer of a time increase do you think the improved torch should be? My opinion is that it shouldn't be unrealistically longer of a time increase nor unbalance the game in any kind of way. But I did hear that a kinu cloth-torch can last 45 minutes in total.

So what I find neat about this, is that I have heard people say that there is an overabundance of cloth in the game, in regards to that, not only would this improved torch last longer with a bit more heat, but it would require cloth thus giving cloth another use. Which may lead to it being used up more and become less abundant for particular uses. One thing I have been doing lately, because I have been playing in pleasant valley which is freezing cold, is using the torch for that extra bit of heat so I don't freeze to death as quickly 😄 and you can do this with the lantern as well. Are you out of wood with a fire that is  31 degrees fahrenheit, just a few degrees below freezing? Use that lantern to help heat yourself up a bit. but it costs lantern fuel... so how much are you willing to use? This is how you choose to play in regards to what you are willing to sacrifice. So this improved torch would add a new dynamic to the game, as in, let's say I am gonna travel in the dark or in the cold and so I need a torch either for the light or the heat. and I think "well, how long is the travel, very long, do I have any cloth, yes, how much cloth do I have, 2," am I willing to sacrifice that one cloth to make an improved torch that lasts that extra bit longer or gives me that extra bit of heat? hmmm. and the decision might be determined by if whether or not you had other planned uses for the cloth or maybe "the trip really isn't that long". So maybe you decide yes, improved torch. Or naw. 
Another thing is that, should the improved torch be unlockable at level 3 firemaking or should it always be an ability from the beginning? I kinda like the idea of it being unlocked.

With this I have a minor new change, an update, to the torch drop. You know how when you drop the torch and it falls on the ground in the snow and somehow stays lit while you use the charcoal to survey the area? Well how about when you use the left trigger or your button that is for "place" on the torch and place it back down on the ground it will stick into the snow so that it is standing up while you survey the area, standing next to warm torch. and then you can pick it back up which equips it. Very much like placing the lit lantern down on the ground. One thing about this though, is that it would only make sense outside on the ground in the snow, it wouldn't make any sense on ice or indoors or in an outdoor cave or indoor cave, just in snow. Can it be done? Would it take a lot development time or could it be done with not so much time put in, in other words, would it be worth the time do you think? I have no idea how the build of the game is structured, like is it set up so that all of the snow is one asset, my thought is that if all the snow in the game or regions is one asset or asset group, then maybe this property could be added to that asset or asset group. I am not certain I know what I am talking about here. My understanding of coding is very little and from 10 years ago 😄

Okay, but... torches are already made from sticks, cloth and lamp oil, if you craft one at a bench. So... we already have this. Torches pulled from fires use the same art asset, but are basically just pieces of burning wood.  Crafted torches always start at 100% condition, pulled torches from a fire start at a lower condition and burn duration, sorry, I don't know the exact numbers. 

Not sure why Hinterland should, or would go through the added expense of time and money to make torches stand up in snow, when they already stay lit if we drop them, and continue giving out light. Yeah, yeah, "realism", but it already works, and they have a good bit to do to get the Story Mode done. Not sure I would be thrilled to know they are spending time to make torches stand up in snow mounds, instead of getting Wintermute done. Just my opinion... Wintermute first, mini Tiki torches after that, perhaps. 

TL;DR- torches are already crafted from wood, cloth and lamp oil. So... not sure what difference this would be, other than changing the stats for burn time and heat output?

22 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Not sure I would be thrilled to know they are spending time to make torches stand up in snow mounds, instead of getting Wintermute done. Just my opinion... Wintermute first, mini Tiki torches after that, perhaps. 

Yeah that is a good point. I could get behind that.

23 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

TL;DR- torches are already crafted from wood, cloth and lamp oil. So... not sure what difference this would be, other than changing the stats for burn time and heat output?

Ah I never knew. I always thought it was just sticks to make a torch because I was always pulling them from fires or take a torch from a corpse. 

Ah, craft some at a workbench.  They are not wind-proof, so outdoors, torches are less reliable than lanterns. But, they use far less lantern oil per hour of burn time. So, for example, in my current attempt to live for 500 days in Milton/Mountain town without leaving the map, every, I have no option to fish, and cook many fish to make more lamp oil. What I find is what I have. So, crafting 100% condition torches will save me precious lamp oil that I cannot get more of on the map I have chosen to try this on. Of course, I have not been lucky with finding matches yet either, hoping my luck there picks up. I have tons of Sport Socks, though. So, lots of cloth to harvest, lol. :D

Archived