Stalker Bear

melcantspell

Yesterday I noticed something that never happened to me before in 500 days of Voyager and 200 days of Stalker gameplay. 

I travelled the rails in Forlorn Muskeg when I noticed a bear right in front of me, at a fair distance. I stopped in my tracks and waited to see where it was going. It seemed to wander slightly to the right, so I slowly went to the left. After a short distance I turned around and noticed that the bear had turned left as well and followed me from a distance. 

I moved on. There was a wolf ahead of me, and lots of thin ice. Not wanting to turn around  (because, bear) I tried to figure the best path across the thin ice. But of course it didn't work and I fell right in. Soaking wet, I ran a few metres. Oh there's that wolf again. What a good time to start a fire. So I made a fire to warm up and be safe from the wolf.

The bear kept coming closer though. 

I could not stay here. Took a torch, ran a few meters to the edge of the map. More wolves. Made another fire, shot at the wolves, hit one, missed the second one. 

At least now I am a safe distance from the bear and can finally warm up. Oh what's that dark shadow right behind that tree? Of course, it's the bear, and he's closer than ever. 

And so it went until I was halfway across the map. 

I have no clue why the bear kept following me around (and it definitely was following me on purpose, I zigzagged way too much for any coincidences) but it was awesome. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I wonder how it works. In all my previous bear encounters, once I was a certain distance from the bear the bear just didn't give a **** about me and went on with his bear business. Not this time though. 

It has been my experience wolves will stalk you like this (once they catch your scent/sight) but never a bear.  All my encounters with bear have either been me stalking them or they rear up and charge me.  You could have just been really unlucky and following his normal pathing...

Archived