I'll pay $20 for VR support.

katiebour

• 2 months later...

I am no game developer, but I would assume that porting the game to VR would be so time intensive and not be worth the money they would make from it, but if anyone knows anything about VR development and porting please feel free to let me know I am wrong.

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

Hehe I've already played this in VR.

I remember you posting about that on Steam, and how you did it. And Jimmy trying it on his VR sets. And he loved it, though VR gives me a blinding migraine most of the time. 

Does your method still work, or no longer, after many updates?

7 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

I remember you posting about that on Steam, and how you did it. And Jimmy trying it on his VR sets. And he loved it, though VR gives me a blinding migraine most of the time. 

Does your method still work, or no longer, after many updates?

Yes and no.  My original method no longer works, but VorpX now supports The Long Dark directly, so I don't have to go through as much shenanigans to play it.  Also, playing it in virtual 3D Screen mode is best.  Instead of trying to shoehorn the game into VR, which causes problems any time you have a full-screen thing going on (basically any menu interaction), the game is rendered on a giant virtual 3D display.  So you can still turn your head to look around, but it doesn't control your character's perspective.  It just changes what part of the virtual screen you're looking at.

Since you don't have to warp the FOV to fill your entire field of view, the game overall is more playable that way.  It's a nice blend between pancake and VR.  (And we all know how you feel about pancakes.)  However, weapon aiming is very difficult.  In pancake since there's only one "eye", when you aim the rifle or bow or whatever, the sights are aligned to that one eye.  When aiming in VR, the sights are aligned somewhere between your two virtual eyes.  Like instead of lining the sights up with your eye, the character lines them up with their nose.  You can learn to compensate with practice, but honestly that part sucks.  That's one thing I really miss about the TriDef prototype--you could declare a dominant eye, so when you aim, the sights were aligned to that eye.