A question about weight

Nordic Mullet

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

Yes, there are benefits to carrying less weight. The 15 kg is the amount of weight when you have the highest movement speed possible. At least I think so... compared to 30 kg. Naturally, the more weight you carry, the slower you become - reaching 40 kg will "barely" slow you down compared to 30 kg. 50kg is noticeably slower. 55kg is almost impossible to move. Reaching over 60kg, your character cant move. Each weight limit also determine, how much fatique you will lose. You lose the least at 15, then 30, 40, (maybe 45, not sure), then 50, (maybe 55), and you cant move at 60 so I never really bothered to find out. Also, even if you are fatiqued, at weight 15 you can still climb the rope (though I wouldnt recommend it).

Being fatiqued below 50% will gradually decrease your carrying capacity, slowing you down (and you also slow down because of 5O% fatique). Broken ribs can also decrease your carrying capacity.

All in all, if you are just trying to move around to collect sticks quickly or you are trying to move to a different base, and the conditions outside are mild, or if you are hunting, for example, in warmer weather - it is better to go at 15 kg. (not exactly sure that you "move" faster, but you can definitedly sprint faster, which can be useful during hunting, especially if hunting for moose, where you need to outrun it to reach an active campfire and stop the animal´s charge).

The "optimal" general weight you should try to keep is 40kg for general play. If right below, you can still sprint if neccesary, and the extra loss of fatique and movement speed at this level is not that noticeable. I personally alternate between 30 to 5O, depending on current situation, but if I have to walk far, I drop equipment to reach 40 (unless I plan to make camp in the outdoors, in which case I can reach about 50 through sticks).

Oh, and of course, wearing the Moose hide satchel will add extra 5 kg to all of the limits, regardless of your weight situation. So, optimal weight with satchel is 45kg, for instance.

Ah, now I understand what you mean. :) No, it doesnt, at least I am fairly certain of it.

Lets assume your Fatique is at 100%, and you have no satchel. Your "weight" limit shows 30 kg. Your movement speed and fatique drain will be the same if you have in your inventory 30,5 kg, 32,7 kg, 36kg, or 39,9 kg. The movement speed and drain SHOULD be the same. But, the problem with this is that this is not easy to measure. There are so many aspects that affect movement speed and fatique drain (temperature, the difficulty of terrain, etc.) - so if there are any "differences", they would not be noticeable.

Feel free to test it yourself - I would recommend some "flat" area like in front of Camp office, pick items at almost full fatique that would weight 30 kg. Walk around to get the feel of your speed. Then "pick up" a heavy item like a rifle - so your inventory weight jumps to 34 kg. And once again, walk around. I did this test in the past, and I didnt notice any change in speed.

But, then I did a test with 39,5 kg speed which was (probably) the same, and I picked up a piece of Fir firewood, which put me above 40 kg - and the change in speed was noticeable. The character complained about the added weight, and my movement speed droped.

The situation you describe starts being a problem when you lose fatique. Once your "eye" icon goes down below 50%, your carry limit will start to go down. And so do all the other "limits". Meaning that when you are really tired, even a single extra item in your inventory can push your limit above the carrying capacity and slow you down. You probably noticed picking up a stick when tired which pushed you above the decreasing carrying limit, and that slowed you down significantly.

6 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

a test with 39,5 kg speed which was (probably) the same, and I picked up a piece of Fir firewood, which put me above 40 kg - and the change in speed was noticeable. The character complained about the added weight, and my movement speed droped.

Welcome to the forum @Nordic Mullet.
Looks like you got the answer you needed from the excellent post by @Mroz4k.

Here is a quick reference for you, (Please also know that things tend to get tweaked by the game updates from time to time).

• Encumbrance Limit [Backpack], (No Penalty): 30 kg / 66 lbs.
  • Encumbrance Limit [Backpack + 10], (No Climbing/Sprinting): 40 kg / 88 lbs.
  • Encumbrance Limit [Backpack +20], (Crawl Speed): 50 kg / 110 lbs.
  • Encumbrance Limit [Backpack + 30], (Cannot move): 60 kg / 132 lbs.
  • Encumbrance Limit [Backpack + Moose Satchel], (No Penalty): 35 kg / 77 lbs.

Best of luck my friend. :coffee:

Archived