2 Things from a dream about TLD - 1 serious, 1 silly

Sgt. Eclair

Last night I had a dream about TLD, not sure why, but some interesting things were different in it.

First, the silly thing: All hunting rifles in the game resembled Lebel 1886's, and each had a custom cloth wrap with a design, decal, or art of some type on the buttstock. It was actually kinda cool.

Second, the semi-serious thing: There was some type of Christmas event going on, and there were miniature snowmen scattered around more out-of-the-way places, and harvesting them revealed a random small item, ranging from a stone, to a lump of coal, to a can of peaches, you get the idea.

Just thought I'd post this, somebody might find it interesting!

Just now, Sgt. Eclair said:

Wait, what starvation hack? I haven't heard of it before..

Not really a hack since it's permitted by unmodded game: it's the fact you'd better spend your day starved and doing things for no calories cost (brake crates, harvest meat, etc) instead of being well fed. Loper secret is just to find 750 calories everyday, and eat them just before sleeping for 9 or 10 hours. Spending your day starved makes maybe -15% health, sleeping gives you +30%.

10 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

Not really a hack since it's permitted by unmodded game: it's the fact you'd better spend your day starved and doing things for no calories cost (brake crates, harvest meat, etc) instead of being well fed. Loper secret is just to find 750 calories everyday, and eat them just before sleeping for 9 or 10 hours. Spending your day starved makes maybe -15% health, sleeping gives you +30%.

Ah, I see, thanks for clarifying! I knew about that, just didn't know that was the name for it.

@BareSkin I think the main problem is that TLD is really only tracking the hunger calories stat, ranging from 0 to 2500 kcal. There's simply no way to effectively differentiate between someone who's been starving for a day and someone who's been starving for a month with just that variable. I had some success creating a model with 2 variables - hunger calories and body fat calories - and simulating that in Matlab. I really hope Hinterland will implement something similar.

@Sgt. Eclair I really, really love that second idea. I almost feel like that's what the cairns could have and should have been.

5 hours ago, StrangerFromTheInternet said:

TLD is really only tracking the hunger calories stat, ranging from 0 to 2500 kcal.

It is not, since when you starve for too long you lose Fatigue Capacity. Also, starvation hack is easy to fix, and the code is simple IMO: "IF you don't have calories, THEN you cannot do activities that need calories" (harvesting crates, meat, sprinting, etc...) Just like you can't craft when there is no light. With just this change, the micromanagement would be too difficult and too dangerous (you don't know when you'll need to sprint), and people would just try to feed themselves.

Yes, that would make Interloper a much more difficult challenge too, but hey, isn't it what it was supposed to be in the first place?

Archived