Fattest Bear you've ever hunted

Dan_

I'm just going on a bear hunting expedition throughout the maps and just downed this robust bear near the trailer by silent clearing in CH:

20181027115803_1.thumb.jpg.bc2a9c73ed1f06d016c1f4c3371b9ab4.jpg

I didn't even bother to check his mass and just quartered him without a fire ( CH is waaay too warm, even in interloper ), as I was carrying the bags two per trip to the trailer I noticed something seemed off. I've got EIGHT bags, 4,9kg of meat each quarter to make it 39,2 kg total. I honestly assumed every single bear hovers at 30-32kg of meat and never kept statistics of their weight as I hunted them. The wiki assumes each bear weighs in at 30kg, but as with many mechanics, that's incorrect.  

What's the fattest bear you've ever hunted? Is it possible to get a 40kg+ plus bear?

Senior TLD scientists @Ruruwawa and @Timber Wolf could chime in?

20181027120204_1.thumb.jpg.f24544e185488386a7cb6b7dc672ec2d.jpg

Guest jeffpeng

I do believe that 30 to 40 kg of meat is actually the possible range. Never had below 30, never had above 40. And I killed quite a few bears.

On 1.11.2018 at 6:27 PM, Guenter said:

I killed 7 bears, but I found only 2, I dont know, but I think they are running away from me, if they are hit XD
One had 31, the other 37kg

After calming down from making a run for it bears try to return to their den/cave to die there in peace. Knowing the usual suspects for a bear home helps tracking them.

30 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

I do believe that 30 to 40 kg of meat is actually the possible range. Never had below 30, never had above 40. And I killed quite a few bears.

I've probably killed a hundred by now, but I never stopped to document their bulk. I suppose you're right on the range, I've got a new record holder:

20181102141314_1.thumb.jpg.17510dc157fdd8730446e9e47aefaea6.jpg

I killed my first bear yesterday. Don't laugh, but I'm actually a bit sad about it because I just meant to scare it away. I needed to find shelter in one of the Waterfront Cottages in Coastal Highway, and as you well know there's a bear patrolling that area. I didn't want it to get too close to the houses, because I needed firewood and I would have had to break down planks and pallets, and to do some coming and going from the cottages. So when I saw the bear getting near the shore, I shot once aiming at nothing in particular, but the bear didn't care, so I shot 3 times in its general direction. It finally ran away. I honestly didn't imagine I'd hit it from that distance. I did aim at the bear, but briefly and not at the head. The morning after, I notice there are some crows in the area between the house and the highway, a spot where there usually isn't a corpse or carcass. I take a short walk in their direction, and there lies the bear, face down in the snow. 

The harvestable amount of meat was 37.5 kg.

I got lucky but, as silly as it may sound, I don't feel good about it.

Archived