Wall mounted Antlers and Heads

piddy3825

Now that we got a Moose and big ole' bad Bear, 

wouldn't it be nice to be able to hang their heads on your walls?  I would love to see my home base with a couple of Moose heads mounted on either end of the room.  Since we are literally living off the land and using every thing we can from the animal, I would think the survivor might choose to take a trophy Head either to celebrate the animal or to celebrate the kill.  Either way, would be cool to be able to mount the Moose head and use it as a gun or bow rack.   

It's a morbid practice employed by show-off trophy hunters to hang in a rec room, not by people who truly live off the land. If one is truly surviving with nothing, there's nothing to hang anyhow. Everything would be used, right down to the bones. Celebrating the kill would be each and every meal the animal provides, each tool made from the bones, every warm night provided by the pelt, every fish caught with the bait and every wolf distracted by any viscera that couldn't be used.

Sorry. I have strong feelings about this kind of thing.

Eh, without getting into morality arguments over trophy hunters vs. sustenance hunters, because both sides have a right to their opinions and preferences...

I just don't see the need or gameplay value of this. We have mounted heads and skulls, and fish, all over the place already. Taxidermy is not a "simple" process, even done wrong. It would be very time and labor intensive, resource draining (wasting), just to make a decoration for your base.

Honestly, a better idea in my opinion, would be to allow the survivor to use ladders or charis, to take down the heads or skulls already mounted on walls and above doors. Place them in a new location on a wall. Have it require a tool kit or hammer, nails would be reused after taking the thing down. Want to have that massive 8 point from the cabin down the road on the wall at the QGS? Drop your inventory... you cn carry the thing home if you want it that badly.

I would personally rather see more use from the carcasses of things we kill. Fish bones made into crude combs, for a hygiene/mental-health system.  Ears and tongues used as preferred wolf decoys. Antlers used to make handles for improvised knives or hatchets (to create a longer lasting tool), bones used for creating bone broth for soups or stews, or used as blunt force melee weapons, good for 1 fight, but possibly able to drive an attacking animal off, if no other weapons are in your inventory, ect. I would rather see practical uses for more body parts left over after a hunt, than decorative ones.

I'm a sustenance hunter myself, but I don't expect every hunter to share my views on hunting. I can see why the trophy means so much to some, just like being on the top of a leaderboard in a video game is the end-all for others, or having the slickest, shiniest, fastest car on the block, ect.  I "get it", even if I don't share the joy in it. I just don't see a need for it in the game, unless all of the other options, and then some, that I listed above are added as well. And that is a ton of work for limited value for already busy devs.

Archived