Remove/destroy burned-out campfires

Kaisentlaia

I know this has already been asked many times (like herehere or here), but I didn't want to necro so I'm starting a new thread.

Since the possibility to start again burned out campfires was added the situation got better, but it's still annoying to have old campfires littering the landscape and I guess it's bad for performance on long runs. While some campfires are useful and deliberate, like when you place them in a cave or outside your base for outside-cooking, others are useful only on a single-use basis, like those you start near a carcass to harvest it safely. When the carcass is gone the campfire will remain forever.

I think that some burned-out campfires are necessary (like the one you can find at the beginning of story mode) so a timer that makes them despawn when elapsed wouldn't be a good solution. I can think of two ways to solve this:

1. make them despawn automatically after a while like carcasses, but only if charcoal is removed first (like the mod) or
  2. add a button that appears in place of the "take charcoal" one, something like "dismantle" or "destroy", available only when the charcoal is taken to avoid misclicks

I think 2 would be the best solution. Removing a campfire would be completely optional and difficult to do by mistake, and the player would be in control of what happens to their burned out campfires. It should be relatively easy to implement as well, so not a big impact from a development point of view for a pretty nice QoL addition.

What do you guys think?

3 hours ago, Kaisentlaia said:

add a button that appears in place of the "take charcoal" one, something like "dismantle" or "destroy", available only when the charcoal is taken to avoid misclicks

I wanted this so badly, when I made myself at home on the Riken.  I was trying for the three day campfire achievement, but placed the 1st campfire in the wrong part of the Riken's wheelhouse.  I got it right with the 2nd campfire, but the first remained as a continual eyesore.

Although, after the new cooking mechanics were implemented, it became useful for increasing my cooking capacity. 

But, I'd still like the option to remove the campfire. 

On 7/10/2018 at 2:39 AM, Kaisentlaia said:

I think 2 would be the best solution. Removing a campfire would be completely optional and difficult to do by mistake, and the player would be in control of what happens to their burned out campfires. It should be relatively easy to implement as well, so not a big impact from a development point of view for a pretty nice QoL addition.

What do you guys think?

i agree with your second choice.  a remove feature would be very nice to have considering the update retrofitted every campfire regardless of where it was placed, and that includes locations where since the update you would now not be able to place a campfire in that spot.  I made some campfire on some barrels for example and now the cooking rocks are floating in the air around this barrel.  Same goes for a couple I put on top of some car hoods, lol.  to be able to zap those off would be nice to be able to do.

Archived