What should I be doing next? (Interloper)

Jake Dolan

(Reposted from "The Long Dark" subreddit) 

Currently I'm sitting at around 25% HP~, morning time in the Camp Office, fully awake with no idea what to do next. I can't sleep to heal so should I be eating to keep up strength? If I eat now I wont have enough to sleep through the night but the Blizzard outside is currently preventing me from finding food.

I run into this issue a lot where I'm stuck inside with no idea what to do. Anyone have advice for this situation / in general?

Edit #1: I have a few Birch/Maple sticks(branches?*) curing, along with some Gut. I have found a Hammer+Hacksaw+Mag. Glass

Keep yourself fed during the day is the number one strategy for recovering condition, having emergency calories to dispose is paramount to survival. 

OK, few questions so we can be more helpful:

Did you forge any crafting tools? I'm talking about knife and/or hatchet? - Crafting a bow would allow you to bag a deer and keep fed for days, those saplings are of no use without either the knife or hatchet. I usually do not craft a hatchet and prioritize getting the max amount of arrowheads possible, but that's just a strategy to maximize my scrap metal. 

Have you already eaten all the cattails by Mystery Lake? You can also drink your rose hip and reishi teas and hit esc to cancel before the little progress circle closes completely. That way the medicine gets lighter, you get calories as a result and the effect still applies when you finish drinking the last 10%. Food is never a problem in Mystery Lake, even if you're stuck inside in the blizzard you can partially drink your teas and keep yourself recovering condition.  

You can calculate how many calories you'll need to last through the day, each hour your character will use 125 calories just to keep breathing and 75 calories when sleeping. 10% less if you use the efficient machine feat. 

Do you have any cured guts available? If you do, smash a bunch of furniture with the hammer and go on a fishing trip, you'll acquire food and recover condition as long as you keep yourself fed and you get to curb cabin fever as it can be a major hindrance when trying to recover from a huge condition draining event. 

Remember to sleep in 10 hour chunks, it'll grant you 32% condition recovery bonus. The herbal tea only gives you 6% more at best, so keep yourself fed during the day to ensure better results. In a single day you should be able to move again. Hope it helps, good luck and stay safe and warm out there! :coffee:

@Dan_ I spawned in TWM and instantly ran to Pleasent Valley->ML in a matter of a few days, and found the Hammer/Hacksaw along the way but have yet to craft the tools.

I have enough food for a day or two, one concern I had was when I'm at 0% Hunger, does doing tasks like breaking and chopping furniture speed up hunger dmg? Or is it a constant 10% condition lost per day with the 32% heal.

Guts are currently around 4~ days away 

As a mechanics breakdown:

Freezing - 20% damage per hour freezing, after two hours of constant freezing you develop hypothermia, which doubles the condition loss rate to 40% per hour. 

Tiredness - 1% damage per hour. 

Thirst - 2% damage per hour.

Hunger - Hunger is a 1% condition drop per hour passed in game, how many calories you spend doing tasks has no effect other than dropping your hunger bar faster, it will still be 1% per hour after your calories stock has dropped to 0 regardless of which task you are attending to. If you starve yourself for a really long period of time ( upwards of 14h approximately ), you'll see a negative modifier to your rest bar as well. 

Also when moving fast between regions, consider collecting cattails and feeding on deer carcasses along the way. Saves up canned food for that upcoming forging session. Where do you intend to forge your tools? FM or DP?

Also, the 32% condition bonus applies when sleeping on a bed or bear bedroll, the cloth bedroll only gives you 28% per 10 hours if I'm not mistaken. 

Interesting thing I discovered last night while afflicted with Cabin fever on Interloper while a blizzard raged outside... If you stand still and let game time play out normally (not doing a specific task and not walking about)  then the condition loss from hunger does not happen.  I've been on 0 calories and 16% condition for 2 days of game time waiting for the weather to improve so I could make a fire with the mag. glass. It is EXTREMELY boring to let the game time run normal speed and do nothing... 2 full days in game was about 2 real hours.

I imagine this is a bug though.

Sounds like an experiment few have/would attempt, well done! Being dealt a long blizzard sucks. If you've not searched other buildings then try going shelter to shelter hunting for free calories and breaking furniture for firewood. You could dash to the lookout, then log camp, then Dam trailers. Near the trailers there's mushrooms and cattails.

That said (and maybe you're sorted by now) if you've the hammer and the weather clears, I'd head to the forge on the muskets. Cattaiks abound on the journey. Pick up supplies at the poachers camp enroute and you'll be good for 2-3 days at the forge, making tools, recovering condition.

Archived