Vigilant Flame issues/kudos

stratvox

I'm going to start off by saying I love the new region, and I like the cooking update. I started out giving myself food poisoning a few times, but as I've gotten accustomed to the mechanic it's been less of a problem. The cooking adds a lot of versimilitude to the game and I'm appreciating being able to do things like harvest cloth and light clothing repair while the steaks are on the barbie.

Issues do exist, and one's absolutely killer.

I can confirm the vanishing arrows problem. I bagged a deer, watched the arrow bounce off and land, and when I went to go pick it up it was gone. Furthermore this has happened multiple times now. This is a major problem from the gameplay perspective... I'm losing arrows quite quickly because of it and given the difficulty in replacing lost arrowheads that's a big big deal. This needs to be addressed pronto.

The other one is (I'm sure) linux specific, and while I've figured out how to work around it the new cooking mechanic draws it very strongly into focus. It has to do with mouse event handling. The short version is that a mouse up event following the mouse down that selects an object gets interpreted in the sub-menu. So, I click on a pot on a stove, and if the mouse cursor happens to be over an action the mouse up event gets interpreted as doing that action. This is a long-standing problem in linux, but with the new cooking mechanic it makes handling certain things significantly more difficult and fraught with peril for your survivor. This issue really needs to get addressed with the new cooking mechanic because the result of selecting a pot on a stove being filling it with snow instead of being able to select an action is a real issue... and it's happening a lot. I don't know if it's a Unity problem or something specific in the game code, but it does need to be fixed.

1 hour ago, stratvox said:

The other one is (I'm sure) linux specific, and while I've figured out how to work around it the new cooking mechanic draws it very strongly into focus. It has to do with mouse event handling. The short version is that a mouse up event following the mouse down that selects an object gets interpreted in the sub-menu. So, I click on a pot on a stove, and if the mouse cursor happens to be over an action the mouse up event gets interpreted as doing that action. This is a long-standing problem in linux...

Yeah, I've noticed this myself. It only happens to me occasionally. My workaround has been to click and hold the mouse button, then move the cursor away before releasing...when I remember to do it.

I feel like maybe difficulty settings have been tweaked to make it more difficult. I started up a voyager run and ended up plopped in BR pre-dawn with the temperature at -22° C. Took a good bit before I found a spot to warm up some and the very next day 4 hungry wolves surrounded me. I don't recall ever having such difficulty on Voyager. This is on Xbox mind you, and I also discovered some flashing grass.

Archived