Tips and Tricks for a better running game

JACKROX_12234

So I  have a pretty crappy computer, and I'm able to run TLD pretty good, but on the worst possible settings. All my graphics are turned down to the minimum, my resolution is at 800x600. So I am asking the community to help me with some tips and tricks to make my game run good without sacrificing so much quality. Any ideas 

There is good news; your timing is great to upgrade to newer hardware capable of PC gaming. In general find a computer that you like with a separate graphics card. Your poor Celeron processor is trying to do too much, it is intended for basic computer applications and long battery life...not so much for gaming. (If your current rig has a separate GPU, you may want to first verify that TLD is using the graphics card and not the integrated Celeron graphics).

19 hours ago, s7mar7in said:

There is good news; your timing is great to upgrade to newer hardware capable of PC gaming. In general find a computer that you like with a separate graphics card. Your poor Celeron processor is trying to do too much, it is intended for basic computer applications and long battery life...not so much for gaming. (If your current rig has a separate GPU, you may want to first verify that TLD is using the graphics card and not the integrated Celeron graphics).

Its Not worth it, it would cost me around 100-150 dollar CAD to upgrade my laptop to max which is only a tiny bit of improvements, 8 gb ram and 2.6 ghz procesor

56 minutes ago, JACKROX_12234 said:

What do you guys run TLD on? Specs?

I'm using a (6) year old Alienware laptop with a weak GPU, (GTX-555). Even the most basic gaming rig available today will serve you well. The 'Steam' website will have detailed information regarding minimum and recommended specs for each PC game title.

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Dual-Core Intel i5 CPU @ 2GHz+
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Intel 4xxx Series w/ 512MB VRAM or better
    • Storage: 7 GB available space
    • Sound Card: Any on-board chip will work.
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: Intel i7 CPU @ 2.6GHz or higher
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: nVidia GTX 555 w/ 1GB VRAM or better
    • Storage: 7 GB available space
    • Sound Card: Ideally, something with Surround capabilities.

It won't run it that great, you will be using an integrated chip which meets the minimum recommendations, which means you won't be running it on high or ultra most likely, unless you get a laptop with a dedicated graphics processing unit (GPU).

If you can find one close to whatever your price range is with a GPU, go with that instead.

I'm running an old i7 government office-spec workstation with 16gb ram ($200 from local version of Craigslist). Using the on-board HD4000 graphics I have to run at low res with most settings med-low or off. The game still looks good, but nothing like the hi-res beauty it's meant to be! Weirdly, with recent graphical additions to the game I assumed I'd have to run even lower settings, but the opposite was true. Me thinks the devs did a wee bit of optimisation in the background- gratz!

The main question isn't how high your can turn the settings up, but rather how low they have to be to enable smooth and predictable character movement.

6 hours ago, CaveDweller said:

Me thinks the devs did a wee bit of optimisation in the background- gratz!

You are correct Prepper, the last update was a significant change, something to do with the 'Unity' game engine and the 'DirectX' version.

For what it is worth; the game runs fine on 'High Settings' using an NVidia GTX-555, (GTX-660 would be nice). I agree with CaveDweller, a stable/high frame-rate seems to be important for character movement. As an example it is key during the "wolf struggle" mechanic, (slow clicking only helps a little), I am ready for a hardware update soon.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:40 PM, JACKROX_12234 said:

So I am asking the community to help me with some tips and tricks to make my game run good

Getting back to basics; you may want to start the game, then at the start menu screen, (with the picture of Trappers Cabin), press the 'Windows Key' and the 'G' to launch the 'Game Mode Tool Bar'. The icon on the right will show that game mode is off, click the On/Off Icon to turn-on game mode and you may see a very, very, big improvement in performance.

Archived