Yet another Collection of Ideas

Kendov

1.1 Containers; How come we have a literally infinite amount of water bottles? There should be a limited amount of water bottles to refill instead of suddenly throwing around with 20 full bottles.

1.2 On the other hand, when eating canned food, the food obviously goes into the stomach, but what happens with the can? Those "Empty cans" (Large for canned food, small for drinks and sardines) should be added as items after consuming them, either for other purposes (see below) or harvesting them for scrap metal.

2. Fire can: a small pot with a handle to carry around with hot coals. Extinguishes quickly if you don't take care of it, can only use coals, sticks or tinder (new purpose because it becomes useless after level 3 on firemaking) but saves the time on making a new fire, as you don't need any matches etc. (Found this on a separate topic now, but will leave it here anyway.)

3.1 Towing. I hate it when I for example shoot a deer somewhere out on the ice just because it's hard to find them somewhere else currently. my only chance is to cut the deer up right then and there and hope there will be no wolves or, even worse, a storm. I'd like to be able to either carry or tow (with a climbing rope) carcasses and larger pieces of wood around to nearby shelters for example where you are at least protected from the harsh winds.

3.2 Sleds. Having wolves or even a bear pull them is absolutely unrealistic, I totally agree on that, but from experience I have to say that pulling luggage on a sled is far more comfortable than carrying it on your back. It would take a long time, permanently require a climbing rope, but would make going around with heavy loads a lot easier, although going up steep slopes would be pretty much impossible with loaded sleds, so you'll have to look for a shallow way around or make multiple ways up and down to empty the sled before loading it at the top again. And be careful that nothing suddenly drops from it...

4. More veggies required! Rosehip can't possibly be the only kind of berry growing in that climate. What I ask for is digging for edible roots or at least a variety of (possibly) edible berries, berhaps a new skill with books on identifying berries? Or just trying your luck and risk a food poisoning, although even that risk is better than starving.

5. Although it is already mentioned in many posts, cloaks and ponchos. Just throwing a dried pelt around your shoulders works wonders to keep the heat with you, and a cloak, as long as you keep it closed, works better than a jacket. It's efficiency drops rapidly as soon as you have anything equipped, though.

Also, Hinterland, please rework how clothing works, especially the slots. I do understand that it is a lot better now, but it is still too less realistic.

What about "bulkiness" of clothing? Let's say there are four levels, for example, torso:

Light inner tops ( shirts, blouses ) = level 1

Heavy inner tops ( sweaters ) = level 2

Light outer tops ( vests, low-end tops ) = level 3

Heavy outer tops ( hand-made coats, high-end tops ) = level 4

What does it mean? It means how many clothing items you can have on each body area. Now, there wouldn't be restrictions about "inner" and "outer" clothing. You will be able to wear let's say t-shirt on every torso slot. 

You "clothing slot" will be up to 5 units. That means (numbers in brackets represents bulkiness level) :

4 (1)

1 (2) + 3 (1) / 1 (3)

1 (3) + 1 (2) / 2 (1)

1 (4) + 1 (1)

Underwear would always be at level 1, as it does not block your movement that much 

Now for the head slot:

Scarves should be in the accesory section.

Hats and masks ( balaclava, fleece cowl ) should be in the head section.

Accessories shouldn't be only for the head, for ex.:

Head = Goggles, Scarves

Legs = Gaiters

Feet = Crampons, Snowshoes

That's all for now I think

W

On 12/5/2017 at 5:13 PM, Kendov said:

Although it is already mentioned in many posts, cloaks and ponchos. Just throwing a dried pelt around your shoulders works wonders to keep the heat with you, and a cloak, as long as you keep it closed, works better than a jacket. It's efficiency drops rapidly as soon as you have anything equipped, though

We have the moose-hide cloak, which has 90% waterproofing.

On 12.12.2017 at 2:57 AM, Salty Crackers said:

W

We have the moose-hide cloak, which has 90% waterproofing.

It may say Cloak bit it is still more like a coat/mantle instead of a real cloak/cape. That's like giving someone a wrench when they ask for a screwdriver...

• 4 weeks later...

So glad I came through and read some of the posts in this section first. Part of the reason I joined was literally to ask for the whole sled thing - like - Yas! - Sleds for luggage behind you. There's a reason they use it for arctic expeditions and the like...

• 4 weeks later...

The Tumpline- a strap tied from your pack that goes around your forehead. Dramatically increases your carrying capacity, because it allows you to pull the weight forward with your upper body strength, changing your centre of gravity more. VERY common piece of kit in that neck of the woods.

Archived