Tiny Wolf & Bear tweak - would go a long way

stray_cur

Should it really be a 'given' that wolves & bears come at you when within a certain distance?  Why not more variation, unpredictability in this regard?
Like:
10% chance it ignores you completely. (unless you get too close for comfort, then the next two %'s activate). 
20% chance it'll run/trot off. 
70% come at you.  
(on stalker or interloper)

In terms of gameplay & affect (not to mention reality) - such a little code tweak would (i think) be a plus.

The relief of it not coming at you.  The 'damn!' of it coming at you  (cause it was not a given!)

This 'algorithm' may even result in more conflicts / deaths, as players will 'push their luck', not knowing exactly what will happen every time.

Right or not right?

(please don't suggest pilgrim or voyager as an answer to this 'wish')

I think this is already implemented? Wolves will run scared in certain circumstances, even on interloper. It's not guaranteed. In practice it means you simply can't rely on scaring a wolf away. You can try sprinting at them, carrying a torch etc. But for the most part you are best treating them as if they will pursue you. 

18 hours ago, Tsayers1068 said:

I kind of like this but shouldn't it come after you on Voyageur as well?  They do as the game is now.

ya, apply to voyager as well then.

7 hours ago, LucidFugue said:

I think this is already implemented? Wolves will run scared in certain circumstances, even on interloper. It's not guaranteed. In practice it means you simply can't rely on scaring a wolf away. You can try sprinting at them, carrying a torch etc. But for the most part you are best treating them as if they will pursue you. 

Ya, If you have a deterrent (torch,etc), then they usually keep their distance.  
But what I'm saying is, with or without those things, they should sometimes ignore you or run away, rather than always be triggered towards you.

If you manage to create the wolf or bear jacket there is a % change the wolf will run away scared (thinks your a wolf or a bear)

But yes i totally agree and hate the fact that wolf bark automatically and sprint right towards you... its too obvious. I more stealthier quieter wolf with a low growl when its very close would be allot better.  I would be crapping my pants if I'm out at night and a wolf starts to stalk me without being heard.

Archived