Slower respawn of resources

StrayCat

Hello,

I have seen many times players explaining they establish a "base" somewhere, and live around there. That is a rational choice, for example by living in CH, there are enough resources to keep living without having to move and take risks (fishing + beachcombing is a huge combo). And usually, that's when the interest in the game starts to drop, and players start to care more about the interior decoration than not starving/freezing/dehydrating...

To keep interest in long-terme gameplay, I suggest to have a much much longer time before the items/wildlife respawn in a location. If you have used all the branches and sticks somewhere, and/or fished/hunted a lot, you would have to keep moving elsewhere in order to continue to survive, while the resources are slowly respawning.

This way, the "I build my base and won't have to move for the next 10 years" strategy would be nerfed. People would have to explore the map, take (calculated) risks and search everywhere for the slightiest resource. Then other valid strategies could appear : 100% nomad "I move non-stop lightweight with only tools and live from what I find" ; or maybe using several bases dispatched around the different regions, switching around them to let resources respawn. Today, these strategies are strictly inferior to using a permanent base  and "looting" everyday : why would I have to keep moving when it is tacticaly superior to just pass days in a secure place with an established routine ?

On an ethical/philosophical view, this would cope well with the "manage your needs instead of sacking nature around you, becauses resources aren't eternal" that (I think) the game is trying to teach. That is what was done in the "previous world", and maybe what leaded to the long dark.  ;)

I thought this was part of the world running down already, but maybe it isn't since I don't kill many things before day 50 anyway. It certainly seems pretty slow in Interloper after day 50. I measured re-spawns in BR and found it took about 25 days for wolves pretty consistently (I never saw the bear after I killed it, but I didn't kill it until my stay was half over).

It's a little harder to tell in PV, where I've been watching it longer, because I can't quite always tell what spawn a wolf pack is from but it seems a little more frequent that I have to clear them off the farm, but the Farmhouse bear is easy to measure. I killed him on day 162 and I saw him again for the first time at dusk of day 212 from Signal Hill trundling across the West Field. We played pin the arrow on Mr. Bear on day 214 and he graciously agreed to die on my porch again (he really is a very agreeable fellow as bears go). I'm a little skeptical that I'll still be in PV on day 264 for his next appearance (if it really takes 50 days) as I'm getting restless and TWM calls and after that I'll probably head to CH or more likely DP, if I continue to live. 

I'd believe it at ~50 days. I timed the farm house bear on Voyageur a couple rounds it was 21 days then 19 days it passes in front of the porch. I'd be okay with bear not respawning at all on any difficulty, if player kills a bear, more wolves move in to take its territory

They already have this basically in one form or another.  Nomad, or Interloper. 

What they really need to do is simply add custom settings for difficulty.   Allow players to customize the experience of those things to their skill level or taste.  It would eliminate a lot of the crying about certain things such as resource amounts, wolf amounts, temperature, etc, etc etc.  Just add high, medium, and low or ascending, descending for most things such as resources, animal spawns both predator and prey, temperature, etc, etc, etc.  Allow you to tweak illness and affliction settings, blah, blah, blah.  All of this in sandbox only of course.

Hinterland clearly has a way they "want" players to play and experience this game, which is why we won't see these sorts of things until mods become more widespread.

I am of the opinion that if Hinterland really wants to force you to play a certain way, they can do that with story mode as they are currently doing by only allowing you to roam to certain areas and craft very little.  

Set sandbox free and allow people to tweak the experience to their own personal liking and you will hear less complaining about wolves, etc, etc etc.

Archived