Spoiled Food Mechanic

The_Materialist

Hi there,

I got a question about spoiled food: What can be done with spoiled food? Can it be cooked or eaten? You would abviousely get food poissoning from it but as long as you have enough antibiotics and a bed to rest the calories of some spoiled food will be worth the food poissoning. If you can cook spoiled food like peaches or beans you can restore 50% condition on them and still eat them safely. What's fun though is that you can despawn spoiled food items by putting them into a container.. If you still can cook it and restore the condition this should not be the case.. 

Thanks for the clarification!

Solution - don't stuff food into containers. Put it on the ground. Furthermore, put canned and processed civilized food indoors on the ground, and raw, natural food like meat and fish outside, to slow its degradation.

And yes, there is (or at least was) an option to eat spoiled food. You could drop the ruined food to the ground, pick it up, and in that opening window you would have several options - take it, drop it, or eat it. If you are playing on the keyboard, spacebar is the quick-button to eat the food you pick up from the ground. 

However, this will give you food poisoning (as far as I know). However, by the way, cooking "canned" things does not increase their condition, it will only heat them up. 
Now, if you get Cooking level 5, you can no longer get food poisoning from things you eat. Someone somewhere told me you cant get food poisoning at all, not sure if it is true. But as far as you cook meat, and it spoils, if you eat it using that spacebar exploit I mentioned, you will never get food poisoning (or parasites) from it.

Ideal food management is to eat the processed items first, starting off with items in lowest conditions, and keeping the items that will last for long for later. Some items don't spoil at all - so don't eat them at all unless you are starving - for example crackers, MREs, cattail stalks, maybe others. I recommend taking processed foods when you are going on looting trips because that food has no smell so the wolves won't sniff you out. 

You can let raw meat ruin if you want, and still be able to renew its condition to 50 through cooking. This is useful before Cooking Level 5 - afterwards, you just won't contract food poisoning or parasites from meat anymore.

Archived