Tiny yet cool change to Forlorn Muskeg

Mroz4k

I love Forlorn Muskeg. It is by far one of the most interesting locations at the moment, for the most part its mostly wilderness, and I really like that about it.

However... I would like to put a single specific "location" into it, which would serve as a partial shelter, and some minor location that could, however, contain some rare loot - a crashed bush plane. 

We already have a texture for it, courtesy of the Story mode... I think it would be really cool to have a crashed bush plane somewhere on the map. Naturally, it would have a corpse next to it, maybe even another one in the place of the pilot, some metal containers, possibly a single "Cargo container". Another idea I have would be that you would need to cross a path of weak ice to get to it.

I was thinking of where it should be placed, and I think the best location would be somewhere to the northwest from the Farmstead. There is an island with a hill and bear den by it, which turns into a cliff with an overhang that connects to another cliff. Below the overhang, a corpse of a hunter with a rifle spawns. I would have this corpse removed, and instead have a crashed plane somewhere on top of that peak. If you know what I am talking about, you know that this area is somewhat difficult to get to from most points, have wolves and a bear spawn in its way but there is almost nothing in terms of rewards up there. I think a plane crash there would provide that sort of "reward". And it should be visible as well, so instead of having trees up there, it would be a hollow rock with a plane, sticking out of it. 

Another location I thought of originally would be somewhere right in the middle of the lakes. There are only two paths that go through that location, and I feel like a crashed plane which can be seen from far away as a potential shelter would be very "luring" location - but a lot of traps would be lying around it. Again, some pretty cool loot there, but there would be a quaranteed wolf to spawn there, as well as a neccesity to run over a small patch of weak ice to get to it. And once you got to it, you would see that the actual "plane" is not much of a shelter as it would be exposed from two sides (it would be broken in such a way it doesnt provide much of a shelter.) (Instead, perhaps the central hunting blind would be removed instead, to balance the loot distribution).

I know the idea of Forlorn Muskeg is that there are supposed to be mostly natural resources, but I dont think a new area with rare goods spawn would be that bad. Especially if the blind gets removed instead.  It would be a nice lure on an eye, and provide a bit more variety in terms of locations, instead of having two blinds in that region.

Maybe its just me but there is something trully immersive in an idea of a bush plane, crashed on a bog. You would expect it to go that way - a plane gets a malfunction, probably in a same way Will gets it during the First Incident, tries for an emergency landing on an open terrain, but no luck since the plane is unresponsive. The plane crashes, and unlike lucky Will & Astrid, the two-man crew wont survive. 

I suppose the movie Snow Walker inspired me in this idea.

I like this idea but I don't think it would be weird having two bush planes looking identical to have crashed in the same vicinity. I know Survival Mode is non-canon to Wintermute but when MT is added to Survival Mode it will be kinda weird to have two planes like that. But it would be still very cool!

8 hours ago, Scott0tantartic said:

I like your idea however I'd like there to instead be a couple of train carriages still intact and with transitional doors to help with saving and heat. How about a coal fire in the front Hog?! Agree, the only place you can hunker down here is the cave system near the telecoms tower. 

But that is precisely the point - I don't want to add more shelters to the region, I like it the way it is right now. Besides, there is so many giant floats around the lakes that players can lie down to, so as long as you have a fire to keep critters away, it is not that difficult to find outdoors shelter on FM. 

I dont want another shelter option, just another looting option which provides challenge and reward for it, as well as fits into the game better.

8 hours ago, Fuarian said:

I like this idea but I don't think it would be weird having two bush planes looking identical to have crashed in the same vicinity. I know Survival Mode is non-canon to Wintermute but when MT is added to Survival Mode it will be kinda weird to have two planes like that. But it would be still very cool!

I hear you. I don't necessarily want the location to look like Will´s crashed plane. In fact, I would like it to look more like a complete plane, something you can even almost get inside of, but with huge tears that won't shield you from the wind. Will´s plane is so trashed it doesn't even look like a plane anymore. You are right, it would need to look differently then Will´s crash site. That's why I like the idea of having the front of the plane with cockpit mostly intact, only to have a lootable dead pilot in its front.

Archived