Living in Broken Railroad

Supermax

On 8/23/2017 at 10:19 PM, LucidFugue said:

I'm not particularly fond of the wolf count. Have seen 2 wolves stalking the front of the maintenance yard and one at the back of the lodge. Then 2 more on the path in from FM. It gets really narrow in places, too. Hard to get past them without building a fire and manoeuvring the wolf around it.

Are you aware that there are ways other than fire to manipulate wolves? If a wolf isn't aware of your presence, you can throw stones over to where you want the wolf to go, and it will trot over to investigate the sound made by the stone hitting the ground. Very useful.

10 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

I'm guessing by "torch" you mean flashlight? :P

Most non-American speakers of English use the word 'torch' where you would use the word 'flashlight'.. ;) (Being Australian, I have to constantly remind myself of this when referring to it on these forums.)

I just started a Pilgrim run to learn the new map and locations, while waiting for Episode 2 to become functional....and there are A LOT of wolves there.

I started up the river by that bridge to nowhere, that no one can get across, and there were 2-3 on the lake near the hunter blind, and another 3 behind the lodge chasing wabbits. 

I haven't been to the maintenance yard yet as I just started it today and only got a couple hours in.

Pretty sure I already experienced a bug, unless they changed predator spawning in Pilgrim with the Wintermute change log we still haven't received.

I thought there was a 24 hour grace period on predators on Pilgrim...all the wolves were present on my spawning in the region....

6 hours ago, Thrasador said:

I just started a Pilgrim run to learn the new map and locations, while waiting for Episode 2 to become functional....and there are A LOT of wolves there.

I started up the river by that bridge to nowhere, that no one can get across, and there were 2-3 on the lake near the hunter blind, and another 3 behind the lodge chasing wabbits. 

I haven't been to the maintenance yard yet as I just started it today and only got a couple hours in.

Pretty sure I already experienced a bug, unless they changed predator spawning in Pilgrim with the Wintermute change log we still haven't received.

I thought there was a 24 hour grace period on predators on Pilgrim...all the wolves were present on my spawning in the region....

I believe on Pilgrim there does not need to be a grace period, since predators do not attack you unless provoked. Makes sense to me, anyway.

And yes, Broken Railroad indeed has a lot of wolves back in that area. Thankfully, the Aurora turns on the street lights so you can run from spotlight to spotlight along the path to the lodge.

Through trial and error I learned how to use the spotlights to scare away Aurora wolves. Just have to get their attention to get them the chase you, then stand in a spotlight. They will not enter the light, but instead stand just outside of it and growl at you. For awhile I was stuck there and thought I was doomed, but I backed up out of the light and the wolf charged, running right into the light, and was scared off.

On 8/22/2017 at 8:47 PM, Supermax said:

So I decided to try living in the new zone, specifically in the hunting lodge. But after killing off and eating all the wolves and rabbits nearby, I had to leave after just a few days. I was on my way out of the zone, but I stopped at the maintenance yard to pick up some stuff, and then I decided to stay there for a bit. And what do you know? It turned out to be one of the best places to live, in my experience. All it's really missing is a fishing hut nearby.

There are deer and wolves all around, so you'd be hard pressed to run out of meat. Practically unlimited firewood from all the shipping pallets, boxes, etc, and that's not even considering the tree limbs everywhere. You can spend most of your time in the "outside" portion, protected from wind and cold, and never worry about cabin fever. No need to ever spend any time in caves or anywhere else to combat CF. When it gets too cold, you can always just go inside. Unlimited storage space too. A workbench. Beds both "outside" and inside. And there's just something about living in a location with no loading screen, where you can look outside at any time. It's a big reason why the hut on TWM is my favorite place to live, and why I enjoy living out of fishing huts for extended periods of time. It feels cozy to sit by a fire while watching a blizzard right outside the door/window. I just don't get the same feeling in "indoor" locations.

Anyway, I didn't really like the hunting lodge, but the yard has quickly become one of my absolute favorite places to stay in the game. Has anybody else had a similar experience?

I need to try this out!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2017 at 10:45 PM, Supermax said:

I've lived there for over 15 days, spending most of the time in the outdoor area, and I haven't gotten any risk of CF at all. So yeah, I'm pretty sure it's considered outside, unlike the TWM hut, etc.

How long have you survived, and on what difficulty? On Voyager cabin fever on starts after 50 days, and stalker is like 10 or 15, and doesn't even happen on pilgrim. 

7 hours ago, omoon66 said:

How long have you survived, and on what difficulty? On Voyager cabin fever on starts after 50 days, and stalker is like 10 or 15, and doesn't even happen on pilgrim. 

It was on Voyager, but I went to the zone somewhere around day 90, so cabin fever was in effect.

Another thing I think I forgot to mention initially is that you can make a fire right inside the "outdoor" area. I made mine right between the bench and chair near the door. Very convenient!

17 minutes ago, Supermax said:

It was on Voyager, but I went to the zone somewhere around day 90, so cabin fever was in effect.

Another thing I think I forgot to mention initially is that you can make a fire right inside the "outdoor" area. I made mine right between the bench and chair near the door. Very convenient!

Yes, very convenient indeed 

Archived