Wolf wounded, tracked, crows flying but no carcass underneath

Zobmachine

13 minutes ago, JAFO said:

That's another of the things I take issue with.

When I said "lots" of things, I wasn't intending to suggest it was bad.. just that it missed so much out, got the wrong slant on a couple of things, and was once or twice just misinformed or incorrect. There's also a personal assumption stated as fact. Things like that.

It's a very useful guide.. but needs some editing.

Yes, like @JAFO must have explained to you, and I have mentioned in a thread somewhere as well...once you are sure you broke line of sight you can run a bit....especially if doing so quickly brings you to something else that also breaks line of sight. A perfect example of this is the church in story mode and the wandering wolf by the blue pickup truck. If that wolf sees you he makes a b-line straight for you....every time. He is VERY annoying.

So what I do is crouch before leaving the church, this typically prevents the eating wolf out front from noticing you too. Then I crouch to the left and get behind the wall of the church. Then I sprint behind the big hill behind the church. Then I just go around the back, checking behind me that he isn't coming (he never has when doing that). I come out further up the road just before the bridge into Milton.

Back to the original subject, strangely enough I went back to trapper's homestead today to haul back the rest of my stuff and the crows were back (4 in-game days later) and still no carcass. In the end this yielded a proper bug report with screenshots (EDIT : Sadly I went for the wrong file for the save). Thanks again for your welcoming help.

once you are sure you broke line of sight you can run a bit....especially if doing so quickly brings you to something else that also breaks line of sight.

I'm not sure if I get this right. Should you start running only once the line of sight is broken (obviously a safe option) or can you also run to then break LOS and hide (sounds a bit bolder).

1 hour ago, Zobmachine said:

Back to the original topic, strangely enough I went back to trapper's homestead today to haul back the rest of my stuff and the crows are back (4 in-game days later) but still no carcass. In the end this yielded a proper bug report with savefile and screenshots. Thanks again for your welcoming help.

I'm not sure if I get this right. Should you start running only once the line of sight is broken (obviously a safe option) or can you also run to then break LOS and hide (sounds a bit bolder).

I usually only run from a wolf when it can't see me. If it sees you, it will typically also run to catch up. Sometimes running makes it get closer to you, and the closer it is the more likely it will decide to attack. If you run while behind something and it can't see you doing it, you are much more likely to get away.....like I said especially if by running you get behind a second obstacle and then run some more. You can get so far ahead by doing this that even if it was still trying to follow you, you will be so far ahead it can't see you anymore. Especially if you crouch once you get far away....

I've seen GreyStillPlays ditch wolves pretty easily by using terrain....

Here is an example of using terrain to break line of sight and confuse a wolf, watch from 2:30 on....or watch the whole thing....I love Grey's videos... :

3 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

For some reason since wintermute, my carcasses keep didisappearing or shifting, but the crows stay in the same place as the original kill.

In the story or the sandbox? I've been complaining about the carcasses disappearing in the story. I haven't been playing much sandbox lately, so it would be good to know if it's happening there too. Regardless, bug report it....

3 hours ago, Thrasador said:

In the story or the sandbox? I've been complaining about the carcasses disappearing in the story. I haven't been playing much sandbox lately, so it would be good to know if it's happening there too. Regardless, bug report it....

Its happening in the story mode, sorry for lack of clarification. Dont have my pc currently, and not too familiar with the bug reporting system.

Normally in the survival/sandbox mode a fresh carcass will last at least a day or two, giving you time to track and harvest your prey if it ran off. A normal tactic is to leave a gut or a fraction of a kilo of meat on the carcass if it is a wolf to keep the carcass on the map as long as possible. Then after the carcass despawns you have at LEAST another couple/few days until the wolf is replaced with a new wolf.

This currently doesn't appear to be working properly in the story. Carcasses have vanished before my eyes after reloading a save, and wolves can and have been replaced after death a lot faster than would be desired. I am hoping this is a bug, and myself and maybe a couple others have reported it already.....

So hang in there and/or play a sandbox game. Caution: The sandbox has permadeath. When you die you start over with nothing, unlike the story where you can reload and try again....

I recommend Pilgrim if you want to explore and only worry about death from freezing, starving, thirst, and exhaustion. As long as you don't shoot at wolves and bears, they will run off if you get too close instead of attacking you....on Pilgrim. Difficulties above Pilgrim have hostile wildlife like in the story, along with various other added difficulties depending on difficulty level.

Archived