Forlorn muskeg glitch on rifle repair quest

Yukonwanderer

I posted this question in another thread, but realize I should probably make it a separate topic, so here it is:

So I'm on the first rifle repair qurst for Jeremiah.  I left mystery lake and made it through forlorn muskeg just at night fall, almost hypothermic due to having fallen through the ice avoiding wolves.  I'm thinking "yes, almost there, I made it!"  I go through the tunnel - it says leaving forlorn muskeg, I'm thinking "...ok, that's fine the shed must be on the next map..." And then all of a sudden I'm back in mystery lake at the original entrance tunnel.....wtf.  

Has this happened to anyone else? Did I do something wrong or is this a bug?

6 hours ago, Yukonwanderer said:

Has this happened to anyone else? Did I do something wrong or is this a bug?

The tunnel at the far end of the tracks? If you took that tunnel through then that is truly weird, lol. You should have come out at Broken Railroad. You didn't get turned around somehow did you?

3 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

You didn't get turned around somehow did you?

Was thinking this as well... The tunnel to Broken Railroad has a derailed line of cars loaded with timber about 120 meters from the entrance. Are you sure this is the tunnel you went through. It's easy to get lost in forlorn muskeg, even for experience players.

Also, although its better to freeze for a few (in game) hours than to get attacked by wolves, it's better to get attacked by a wolf than to fall through ice. Not only do you get hypothermic, your clothes also get wet, and the recovery time is a giant pain.

There has been an ongoing bug where exiting buildings occasionally will dump you back at the entrance to the zone. I have read several forum posts about it happening to others, and it happened to me once so far several days before the Wintermute update, after playing about 200 hours with it never occurring.

I exited one of the coastal houses in Coastal Highway, and I was dumped at the entrance to Coastal Highway from the Ravine transition zone on the tracks.....on the other side of the map. 

What happened to you is a bug and not working as intended. I know you weren't exiting a building....but you were exiting something, and there was a loading screen and then you were teleported kilometers away from where you should have been. This is probably the same bug.

I had been playing for quite a while without exiting that day, it could be an issue tied to the memory leak. I would exit out of the game, power cycle the platform you were playing on, report the bug, and hope it doesn't occur more....

7 minutes ago, shade_grey said:

Was thinking this as well... The tunnel to Broken Railroad has a derailed line of cars loaded with timber about 120 meters from the entrance. Are you sure this is the tunnel you went through. It's easy to get lost in forlorn muskeg, even for experience players.

Also, although its better to freeze for a few (in game) hours than to get attacked by wolves, it's better to get attacked by a wolf than to fall through ice. Not only do you get hypothermic, your clothes also get wet, and the recovery time is a giant pain.

True, I'd rather fight a wolf than fall through the ice, especially when I'm not sure when I'll get to shelter. Yes, you can't miss the correct tunnel at the end of the tracks at the FM tunnel to BR because of the long line of derailed cars on that end. That's the way to BR. I know it for sure. 100% sure. I'm finished that quest now. I'd never get lost in FM as long as I could see well enough. I know it like the back of my hand.

17 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I would exit out of the game, power cycle the platform you were playing on,

Man, I've not had that happen to as of yet, in wintermute or sandbox. Before you go through the tunnel again, if it were me, I'd throw my bedroll down and pass time for an hour, just to save it right there.

20 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Man, I've not had that happen to as of yet, in wintermute or sandbox. Before you go through the tunnel again, if it were me, I'd throw my bedroll down and pass time for an hour, just to save it right there.

Good advice, or if he is starting over at the ML end, go up the tracks to the Poacher's Camp in the red train cars, light a fire in the fire barrel in the car you can enter, add at least an hours worth of wood, and warm up and save your game there....

Sometimes I read several pages of bugs, on the bug reporting site for fun. My favorite bugs are the things people report that aren't bugs....

3 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Sometimes I read several pages of bugs, on the bug reporting site for fun. My favorite bugs are the things people report that aren't bugs....

:D I have done that occasionally myself though not quite at that dedication. I usually will read a few of them and that's it. About the save you talked about, I myself would already have a save in those train cars. I always stop there for a little R&R. When I'm heading to the Spence homestead, I always take the long way around. I'd stop there even if I was going to the cave or the tower as well.

Just now, SnowWalker said:

:D I have done that occasionally myself though not quite at that dedication. I usually will read a few of them and that's it. About the save you talked about, I myself would already have a save in those train cars. I always stop there for a little R&R. When I'm heading to the Spence homestead, I always take the long way around. I'd stop there even if I was going to the cave or the tower as well.

It is a solid plan to do that. Other than sleeping there, or in a cave, or at the farm, I believe the only location that saves when entering in the ENTIRETY of the FM map is the Waterfall Cave....

And this is my 500th post in less than a month of posting. Time to pop open the fine champagne....

During my play 2nd through I went into the cabin in ML by the bears den and when I exited I came out from the cabin where the Forest Talker was hiding out. I decided to stop playing until they get some bugs resolved.

14 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

The tunnel at the far end of the tracks? If you took that tunnel through then that is truly weird, lol. You should have come out at Broken Railroad. You didn't get turned around somehow did you?

14 hours ago, shade_grey said:

I'm sure - because this tunnel  is much closer to the train derailment (had also just picked up a couple granola bars in the snow at this spot) than I was at the beginning.  I thankfully backed up a save (sadly, from before I got the first aid stuff for Jeremiah at the dam tho), so if all else fails I'll have to redo that trek to the dam, then back to Jeremiah, then back through forlorn muskeg...sigh...

Thanks for the answers guys.

14 hours ago, Thrasador said:

There has been an ongoing bug where exiting buildings occasionally will dump you back at the entrance to the zone. I have read several forum posts about it happening to others, and it happened to me once so far several days before the Wintermute update, after playing about 200 hours with it never occurring.

I exited one of the coastal houses in Coastal Highway, and I was dumped at the entrance to Coastal Highway from the Ravine transition zone on the tracks.....on the other side of the map. 

What happened to you is a bug and not working as intended. I know you weren't exiting a building....but you were exiting something, and there was a loading screen and then you were teleported kilometers away from where you should have been. This is probably the same bug.

I had been playing for quite a while without exiting that day, it could be an issue tied to the memory leak. I would exit out of the game, power cycle the platform you were playing on, report the bug, and hope it doesn't occur more....

Thanks, I'm gonna try this.  

33 minutes ago, Yukonwanderer said:

I thankfully backed up a save (sadly, from before I got the first aid stuff for Jeremiah at the dam tho)

Wow, you did all that without another save in between somewhere? You're not like me, lol. I walk in and out of a lot of buildings I see along my way purposely just to secure saves. Or I will do the bedroll save, even if I'm outside if it's warm enough to pass an hours time if I haven't saved in awhile. No way I'm going to lose too much progress from a death or a mishap from a bugged incident. Anyway, hope the rest of your game goes smoothy bro.

3 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Wow, you did all that without another save in between somewhere? You're not like me, lol. I walk in and out of a lot of buildings I see along my way purposely just to secure saves. Or I will do the bedroll save, even if I'm outside if it's warm enough to pass an hours time if I haven't saved in awhile. No way I'm going to lose too much progress from a death or a mishap from a bugged incident. Anyway, hope the rest of your game goes smoothy bro.

No, there were a lot of saves, but the game overwrote them with the new saves in Forlorn Muskeg.  I forgot to back those saves up :(  UNLESS there is a way to access them on Steam?  which I doubt.

2 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

I don't know but I doubt it too, maybe...still, I can't believe you got thrown so far back? Bummer :(

It's aggravating thinking about the fact that the game does this. I mean, I get it - it's more "real" - you're stuck with your decisions, but when there are soooo many bugs, and people can get stuck on levels like this, it makes no sense.  No sense at all.  Normally I'd have 20 different saves to choose from.  Urrghhh...

and I'm a sis, not a bro. just saying. ;)

15 hours ago, shade_grey said:

Yes lol - I realize that now after having fallen through what a b*tch it is to recover.

9 minutes ago, Yukonwanderer said:

It's aggravating thinking about the fact that the game does this. I mean, I get it - it's more "real" - you're stuck with your decisions

Idk? It doesn't make sense to lose a ton of progress in a full story game. At least have us able to restart from the last cut scene that we played out, or something...which for you I'm guessing would have been when you brought Jeremiah the first aid from the dam.

@YukonwandererI read your bug report, good job! Smart to include you did NOT get turned around.

You did a much better job than the bug above you called "Teleportation."

My favorite part of his/hers was the "low-income" part.

That person needs to locate a better translation program....or just write the bug in his native language....

Like I said though, before Wintermute the teleportation bug was pretty rare.

From your bug report it sounded like this happened again, when you went all the way back up the tracks a second time? If so this could be a new bug unique to the quest you are on. Normally when it happened to others it was a random, one time deal....and if they reloaded their game and left the house a second time it didn't occur again...at least it didn't for me....

If I was stuck in the coastal house and could never leave without being teleported, I would be PISSED!

Archived