EP1-Day4: Rosehips - Breaking the Storyline

TheBugfixer

I started a new Run 1h ago under V1.05. In V1.00 you had to boil a Tea of Rosehips and the Problem was, in Pre-Relese you only had to go to a Fire and you could do this. In Release you had to go to the Crafting_Menue to prepare the Rosehips ... but nobody told this !

I remember my first Run, standing 15min at the Firepit, really confused, no Idear what to do ... cause ... nobody told me !

In my 3rd Run, 1h ago, i fell down the Wall and should cook a Tea. But what happend? I took the first 8 Rosehips and was instantly set back to the Cave and Day-5 was started. Without Tea, without explanation what happend.

If you do so, cause the "Player" could not find the Creating-Menue to tool the Rosehips, they dont Know it after your intervention also.

But for me, please forgive me, it is a streange breaking of the Storyline. It's not helpful to set the day to the next, when the Player dont know whats going on. The right way should be to open a Window and lead the Player to the Creating-Menue ... and after then, let him cook his Tea.

You're not really in the story yet. This is more of a pre-story basic tutorial so everything is quick and you don't really keep items. It's not until you make it passed the tutorial section that the story really begins. Also If I remember correctly the description for it says you have to prepare the rose hips. This game does not and will not hold your hand. It's part of the challenge.

3 minutes ago, Nicklesbe said:

You're not really in the story yet. This is more of a pre-story basic tutorial so everything is quick and you don't really keep items. It's not until you make it passed the tutorial section that the story really begins. Also If I remember correctly the description for it says you have to prepare the rose hips. This game does not and will not hold your hand. It's part of the challenge.

You are definitiv right. But the Game dont hold my Hand in this Part. It does nothing. I think the easiest way for the Devs was to switch the day, but i think this is a Mistake. Tey have to tell the Player what to do. They tell you what do when hunting Rabbits, so why they dont tell it for cooking the Rosehip-Tea?

They aren't suppose to hold your hand. They don't have to tell the player exactly what to do. Just enough to figure it out on their own. I never ran into your problem as most players haven't because we actually took time to look through all our menus and saw the crafting menu and saw from the description that the berries had to be prepared before they could be used to make tea. 

My biggest complaint is that the game holds your hand far too much. Throughout episode 1 it does nothing but. 

But even I was a bit flummoxed by rosehips for a short while in my first game. It seems a strange omission, when it tells you exactly how to do everything else. 

5 hours ago, Nicklesbe said:

They aren't suppose to hold your hand. They don't have to tell the player exactly what to do. ...

Thats ok, i understand exactly what you mean and im not here to fight.

Its right when you say "they don't have to tell the player exactly what to do" ... but they have to tell the Player how the Interface is working.

Problem is, there is too much hand holding for experienced players, however not enough instruction for first time players. My buddy, who I recommended the game to, had never played before and he found the tutorial (beginning) portion of the game wasn't detailed enough. I was having to explain how to do everything and it ultimately turned him off of the game. 

Maybe an option before you start the game that asks you if you are a first time player, experienced, advanced or hardcore player before you jump in would have been a good idea. Or an option to turn off tutorial/hints

44 minutes ago, Citizenfour said:

Problem is, there is too much hand holding for experienced players, however not enough instruction for first time players. My buddy, who I recommended the game to, had never played before and he found the tutorial (beginning) portion of the game wasn't detailed enough.

That's exactly what i tryed to say. Thanks.

There should be an optional tutorial which isn't part of the story. That way experienced players can dive right in, and new people can do the tutorial to get the basics. The way it is now, the story gets bloated with tutorial stuff.

As for the rosehips, since the entire way you make them changed, they should probably have added some text for veteran players that said....this changed and is new.

Archived