What drew you to TLD?

brendan_meyer

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a red fox did. ;)

because of the kickstarter debut of raindrop, i clicked through other projects on the main page and was hooked instantly after hearing and seeing the team and first artworks of TLD...

i love survival games, differents approachs in terms of art direction and style, the big unknown north and the concept of the game.

after realising that i can't back it up without creditcard or amazon payment (i am very new to all that pledge-kickstarter-stuff), i was really happy to read about the paypal option - instant transaction, believe me. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Because if I were a Game designer I would design a game like TLD. At least what I think what it is gonna be.

Its one of my dreams to life in the wilderness. This year I did a trekking for about 90 through the Lapponia (north of Sweden) wilderness. I loved it.

I like very much nature, animals, backpacking, adventure, challenges...

Looking very much forward to play this game.

• 2 weeks later...

The absolute amazing art style stunned me and I just had to support this project! In addition to that, I'm a great fan of the pevious games made by the devs. I'll be so happy when the TLD box arrives and I think, I'll put it into a showcase.

I was just browsing through KickStarter and came across TLD, I had some money and thought the idea behind the survival simulator and the artwork were unique and interesting, I loved the uniqueness. When I read and got the update about who they got for the voice overs, that was another selling point. Can't wait to see this game finished!

• 3 weeks later...

Actual Survival gameplay without zombies or some sort of crazy monsters lurking about.

Same here! That and of course the fact that this game is different from everything else on the market, that in itself is worth backing.

Though sometimes I wish I'd be able to start at a random location on the map (or even have a randomly generated one) every time I start a new game to add longevity to the game.

That would be really cool if you could select the location or have the game randomly choose the location where you start. I get that this is probably not possible for the story mode, but for the sandbox mode it would be fantastic to be able to start in a different location each game. It will instantly make every play through a different experience.

I concur with all the strictly survival, no zombies, aspect to this game. I'm also thoroughly fatigued with the typical first person shooter. I went to a friend's house last night and tried out his new ps4. I was so unimpressed with just a prettier version of the same old game.

I'm ready for something unique, plus I love hiking/backpacking and survival skills. This game just seems to be a perfect fit for me. When I saw something about oculus rift support, I just had to jump in and back the game!!

• 4 months later...

I love the idea of a more mature game experience, as someone who was born in the 70's I have grown up gaming my entire life, only problem the games didn't. Yes the graphics, controls, and some of the content has gotten better but I can't help thinking when I crack open a new console game the some old rich guy has forced the direction of the game to make sure his target market is hit, usually 8 - 15 year old boys. Although it would be nice to be young again, I am not and I can't unlearn the all the books, movies, music, and games I have already experienced. Some of the modern console games are down right insulting to their audience. I am looking forward to a world that I can escape to that is zombie, goofy gun, bad plot, flat character - free

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I want to play a survival game

I want to free my mind

I want to hunt my food (Animals / Plants)

I want challenge

-(Re-locating of resources)

-Animals (Causing Injuries / Fatal injuries that I'd need to find cure [Plants / medicines] for)

I want decent graphics, yet not too complicated

I want a focus on the environment (Plants / Trees / Water / Birds / Animals) i want to hear wind, roars howls and tweets.

I want flexibility

-Open world

-Use of tools

-Crafting random stuff with wood / rocks / fur / feathers (Why not do status to give me company ? tables / chairs / shelves / accessory to hang in my camp ?!! / Draw portraits on pieces of wood??)

I want the ability to re-camp. I want to PLAY the game.. not do what the developers are expecting me to do!!!!

I want a developing game, that is heading in a direction near of what i have of mind and that would take my suggestions into consideration.

I want communication between Developers & fans.. Know what they want, not forcing them to do what YOU want! (Keep this in mind).

Lots of people online are looking for a Survival game with no stupid zombies, mythical beasts or flesh eating humanoids.

Eat, keep warm, disinfect, wonder!

Some of my needs are available in here, i see opportunity.. You can hit, and hit HARD! If you just listen to what your fans want and try to tailor the game as much as you can.

Minecraft has sucky graphics, yet how many people are still playing? because they PLAY they do what THEY want.

Sorry if i'm bit off the question although i'm excited for you guys, and for myself to play a game i ALWAYS dreamed about.

Got issues with my credit card to donate via PayPal, Fixing this ASAP.. lets see how much extra $$ is getting in there :) Good luck.

I hope you guys are going for a successful game, not just a niche.

Keep going, you will be there. :)

• 1 month later...

I bought it a few minutes ago.. Honestly, after 3 days of looking up that feudal game, I was still having serious doubts if to buy it because much the devs and moderators are not well intended people.. Maybe I am wrong, and hope so.

Any way in 2 hours of looking up forums and all about TLD I was convinced to put my money here because the game looks awesome and due to the enormous good will of the devs. I am a big Steam user, and after Rust, DayZ and now feudal, it is becoming hard to get into early access games.

But this one seems so different from all that. Not only this reasons I gave here but also the mature people I am finding around here and in Steam forums of TLD

Going to basically echo many points already made:

1) no bloody zombies

2) no bloody zombies

3) no bloody zombies

4) Beautiful artwork that is still fun to explore.

5)Thoughtful mechanics / survival features.

6) Canadian landscape (I'm from Alberta!); and I love the rockies, from Banff to Long Beach on Van Isle. or Cranbrook to Dawsons it's nice to see home when I can't be there IRL.

7) Seen a good LP (Scott Manley on YouTube).

8) No bloody zombies; this fad can't end fast enough. Please don't sell out on this!

Why I backed TLD? Because I cannot play horror survival games any more. I played RE and Silent Hill back on the PS(One). But, I can't handle the stressed-out, on-edge feeling they cause when I play them. It really got worse with Doom3 when it first came out. Ever since then, I've basically sworn myself off those games.

This was definitely better suited to me. :)

First and foremost, the concept art from the Kickstarter. Marry that aesthetic to the concept, and let them give birth to the quality execution of gameplay mechanics... and we have ourselves a happy family.

A happy family that will, uh, condemn me to freeze to death and get torn apart by wolves. Maybe I should have thought this metaphor through a bit more.

I wanted a more sober survival game experience, one not tainted by the kind of zombie obsession all "survival" games are these days, and TLD has provided it.

I also (like plenty of others here) live in Canada, and it's both cool and unnerving that just 100 kilometers from where I live there exists a wilderness just like that in the game.

As a side note, I also like the implementation of cel-shaded graphics. It keeps the environment forboding while keeping the horror of the frozen corpses down a bit. I wouldn't fancy realistic depictions of frozen dead lying about unless that was really important, and I don't think it is. If you don't understand my aversion, just look up the franklin expedition mummies and you'll understand in a jiffy.

• 1 year later...

I had 11.50 on my steam account. Originally, I was going to buy I am Bread, but then I saw that there was this game called The Long Dark that was having a 50% off sale. Right away I was interested. I looked at the preview video. *click!* Impulse buy. I didn't even look at the reviews, age ratings, or even the rest of the pictures! Right away I knew that this game would be awesome. And still, about a year later, I still play this game at least once or twice a week. So, thank you Hinterland, for making a game that can tell me that it will be awesome just from a video :D

Well I just started playing a couple weeks ago. I was playing Survive Wilderness Survival, an Android game and it got me curious about more graphic survival games for the pc. I don't want to fight zombies, I think basic you vs. the elements can be scary and difficult enough. So after scrolling through a dozen zombie survival games that all looked alike I found this one. Downloaded and installed. Then like 10 hours later when real life me was dehydrated and starving to death I figured out this is a pretty awesome game. Now me and the hubby are addicted and fight over whose turn it is with the Xbox one.

Thx for making such an awesome game

I new this Game since last Year, because it was introduced on YouTube by Gronkh and other famous YouTube-Player.

When it came out on X-box I head to the next Game-Store to buy Microsoft-Points to buy it.

That was the best thing I could be done!

I love open world games and specially this game.

So I`m waiting now for Microsoft to release the bug-fix with the save-issue, because I can`t wait to survive and explore again.

Many Thanks to the Team of Hinterland for this Great Game and your hard work!

1.actual survival not some fiction based horror game

2.has guns but not turned into a fps

3.great "feel"

4.bugs are none to minimal unlike most early access game are riddled with them

5.has non immersion time skips

6.no zombies kill it with fire bolth the walkers and them as a survival games top ten things to have :evil:

7:the minimal graphics will help this game stay timeless to its fan base not geting dumped because "(dumb fun voice)ehh this game looks so out dated looks like trash compared to (random new game)" think we all know the feeling

8 a survival game that's not survival horror or a hunter game

9.i watched some LPs for it and it looked like endless fun

10.Its a survival game with NO BLOODY ZOMBIES I CANT EVEN SAY HOW MUCH ZOMBIE SURVIVAL NEEDS TO DIE AS THE MAIN THEAM FOR SURVIVAL GAMES.

That's my list of reasons turned top ten list.

Archived