My feedback on wolfes

Jura

Hi everyone, my first post here.

Anyway, i've been playing The Long Dark for quite some time and would like to share my experience on a particular matter.

I love the game and i find it very challenging and calming at the same time. Love the atmosphere and gameplay. I have played a few times on easier difficulties, but i quickly switched to play interloper mode only. And this mode is perfect for game like this. Love every second of it.

My main problem are the wolves.

Don't get me wrong. I love the wolves. I think their frequency on the map is well balanced, i think their behavior is very well coded (i love how he watches me from safe distance and stalks me).

My problem is the wolf struggle itself.

Sometimes, and please correct me if i'm wrong, but sometimes i feel like there is nothing i can do if wolf charges me.

I'm no total amateur in this game. I know the maps, i know the mechanics, i played over 50 iterations of Interloper mode with more than half of which reaching day 25+.

So i know my way around. I know i need to wear protective clothes, i know i need to have a knife at least, i know i need to be well rested and have good condition.

I had (on many times) all those things and yet he still got me killed (85% or more, i understand if he kills me if i'm under 30-40 condition)

But still, i think that the whole wolf struggle mechanic does not fit into the game. Wolves are my number 1 cause of death. I just cant fight them off.

I think they are a great game mechanic but i would like to see the while "maniac-psychotic-rage clicking the left-mouse-button" gone.It just doesn't fit into the game like this.

Sure, maybe i just cant click fast enough, i dont know. But i really don't like to be killed within 5 seconds by wolf (even when i'm in perfect shape), and my entire survival depends on how fast i click the mouse? (Sounds like 90's games).

A fixed loss of percentage (similar to bear attack) would be much better in my opinion. Or a different struggle mechanic.

Honestly, i'm more comfortable with being brutally mauled by a bear than being charged by wolf.

Thank you for reading, i really hope to see this changed.

The Long Dark is one of the rare games that managed to captivate me, i found it very creative, very pleasant and very calming game.

Keep up the good work Hinterland!

2 hours ago, Jura said:

My problem is the wolf struggle itself.

Sometimes, and please correct me if i'm wrong, but sometimes i feel like there is nothing i can do if wolf charges me.

Hi Jura, and welcome to the forums!

I share your feelings about the mouse-clicking to fight wolves.. often it feels like it's having no effect.

One thing I do know though (and it's not easy to do, I admit), is that if you can time that first mouse-click JUST RIGHT, exactly as the wolf begins to leap, you can kill them instantly with the knife. I've seen it reported here a number of times, and have managed it just once myself.

So now you have a goal you can aim for, at any rate.. good luck!

Yea my problem is that it feels as if the game is being reduced to simple button mashing. I realize the idea is to avoid the wolves altogether, but it seems to me they are always in critical places and overly aggressive in interloper and stalker (thus harder to avoid)... It would be nice if the wolf fights were a little more interactive or varied, involving maybe more buttons or transitions in the struggle.

Have any of you tried carrying a brand around? Wolves don't like fire and tend to run. Weather permitting I always carry a brand and light a new fire as soon as I detect a wolf. They run from camp fires every time (in Voyageur). 

Is the wolf battle harder on the higher difficulty levels or the same as Voyageur?  

I've only played Voyageur and find the wolf battles to not be easy but not too tough either. 

Archived