Item storage

Superego

At the moment the way you store items works well enough, but it feels very limited, artificial and "gamey".

As you explore the world and its various locations, you find items sitting on benches and beside tables and on shelves etc. But other than storing items in containers such as boxes and lockers, the only place to put things is on the floor.

Yet you can place the bedroll before using it (you have to) and you can place the lantern by right clicking to enter placement mode before clicking on a place where the lantern is highlighted green. I'd love to be able to do exactly this with other items. Particularly things such as bottled water and canned food and drink - lining them up on a shelf to display the spoils of my brave endeavors. Jerry cans look fine on the floor but again it would be nice to have the ability to actually place them in a specific spot rather than just "drop" them out of your inventory onto the floor haphazardly. I'd like to have my jerry can against a wall in a corner, maybe store wood in one of those wooden crates you see dotted about the world - things to make your chosen shelter look good and well-stocked.

Also, the containers themselves are very "gamey" in that they're limited by a mass restriction. For example a small desk drawer may hold 5 Kg. As a result it will quite easily store a jerry can. But to me, a jerry can should not fit into a small desk drawer. Personally I'd like to see a grid system and even a grid-based inventory but that's perhaps not for everyone since inventory management adds another element to consider while playing (though I'd like it very much).

For the most part, the ability to place rather than just drop items - like the lantern and bedroll - would be awesome!

Thoughts?

Yes, I agree 100%; I also like to store my items on shelves, tables etc, just like you can do with the lantern.

I'd like to be able to place the gun in the gunrack, instead of just leaving it on the floor or in a container. It's easier to take stock of my stuff that way and it just looks good.

hear. hear.

So far in PC gaming my favorite item management when it comes to setting stuff down is Oblivion, Skyrim, and Morrowind which I believe use various iterations of the Havok physics engine. It lets you 'pinch' items--pick them up--and then set them down pretty much anywhere. You could spend hours arranging your dinner table place setting...not that I've ever done that...

But, yes, as OP mentioned there is already some implementation of this with the Storm Lantern. Which could be expanded.

A was killed a deer and hauled it's meat inside Camp Office. I was put the raw venisons into Carl Wending Machine(the corpse in CO). Exept 3pcs because there wasn't any more room in Carl. So, I dropped those venisons onto the floor. Just about a day later, the venisons on the floor has at least 10% less condition, than the other venisons in Carl.

I wonder if it's a bug, or it's meant to be like that? Because I don't see that happend on any other items I keep on the floor.

I've also noticed you can store items in unrealistic places.

For example, I put the hunting rifle in the office cabinet, which is woefully too small for the barrel. Same with the Jerry Can.

I guess to correct that, some items would have to have a "bulk" rating as well as a weight, and if the bulk rating exceeds the container's bulk max value, then you just can't put it in there.

But being able to line up my tins of peaches on a shelf would be awesome too. :)

This is how i store :)

This used to be my method of storing too, until I figured out that items last a lot longer when placed in containers! Most notably meat stored in containers outside. You don't want to pick up your rifle, hunting knife, hatchet or small tools to find they have degraded to the point of uselessness. Or to see your meat disappear.

I still store everything that doesn't degrade (water, wood, cloth, scrap metal etc) on the floor though.

Don't do that if you intend to play longer than 30 days. A toolkit / rifle will be ruined after 30 days on the floor.

Even worse is the bedroll which can't even be repaired.

Many items are excempted so can be placed on the floor w/o problem. Examples are firewood, newspapers and jerry cans.

And yes, I used to do it too but the floor is the highest wear you can put on your items.

Don't do that if you intend to play longer than 30 days. A toolkit / rifle will be ruined after 30 days on the floor.

Even worse is the bedroll which can't even be repaired.

Many items are excempted so can be placed on the floor w/o problem. Examples are firewood, newspapers and jerry cans.

And yes, I used to do it too but the floor is the highest wear you can put on your items.

100% true!

If an item can degrade it will do it much faster on the floor or even in your inventory! Never put those precious items on the floor like food, knife, hatchet, rifle, clothes, etc.. Best to store them in containers.

And that’s why there’s no point to carry all the stuffs around, like 50 matches, or 30 antibiotics, and a lot of other things because they degrade faster that way.

Also, once the stuff is stored in the right containers, I can keep my weight down to 8 kg, sometimes 5 kg. It has quite a significant impact on calories use and fatigue too. You just need clothing, a lamp (not necessary but convenient), some medicine (I always keep 1 bandage, 1 antiseptic, 2 antibiotics and 2-4 painkillers because it doesn't weigh much and I need to have it with me when I need it) and 2-3 tinder plugs, and a few matches. Everything is better stored as soon as possible. Then watch the decay rates to decide which containers are best. Hint: The first aid locker is ideal for matches.

Also, once the stuff is stored in the right containers, I can keep my weight down to 8 kg, sometimes 5 kg. It has quite a significant impact on calories use and fatigue too. You just need clothing, a lamp (not necessary but convenient), some medicine (I always keep 1 bandage, 1 antiseptic, 2 antibiotics and 2-4 painkillers because it doesn't weigh much and I need to have it with me when I need it) and 2-3 tinder plugs, and a few matches. Everything is better stored as soon as possible. Then watch the decay rates to decide which containers are best. Hint: The first aid locker is ideal for matches.

Yup, that's how I do it, too.

Basically, that’s more than enought to survive a day outdoors:

Clothes: Your clothes. As light as you can, and just as warm as really needed.

First Aid: Antiseptic (1), Antibiotics (4), Painkillers (2), Bandage (1)

Food and Drink: Water Purification Tablets (2), Water (Potable): 1.00L (0,26 US Gallon) = 1 bottle

Material: Cedar Firewood (1), Tinder Plug (3)

Tools: Accelerant (1), Cardboard Matches (10), Flare (2)

I keep my weight around 7 kg. I only take anything else with me if needed, like the hatchet, knife, rifle, lantern, etc.

Hint: In my experience, if you mix a stack of e.g. 50% matches with one at 15%, than the hole stack would become 15%. It's a bug I guess. Not sure it's fixed yet.

I know this problem and it has prompted me to try to use all kinds of crazy tricks to get around it.

At other times the items take the highest condition. And when you take just a few from a stack, the condition will do all crazy things. I used to think that every match has its own condition, and the game displays just the top one (and whichever that happens to be as the result of unknown laws in the code), but I am not sure what is going on. I am sure programming the condition being a weighted average is no more than 20 minutes work for the person who made the code.

It happens to all items by the way, rifle ammo, anitbiotics, painkillers etc.

Archived