Numbered skill books

mystifeid

I would prefer it if skill books were given unique volume numbers. Then all books could be read in any order but skill points would only be received once any precursors in the series were read.

For example, to receive skill points for "Wilderness Cooking Vol 3", both Vol 1 and 2 must also be found and read.

The unique books should be randomly located.

Preferably, in Interloper at least, the number of skill points received per book should be halved.

On 11/13/2016 at 7:18 AM, Wastelander said:

That's a very interesting idea, and I like it. I assume that would also increase the total number of books findable. I want to build a library in Quonset! :D

And then you could modify advertising accordingly: "Welcome to the long dark. Your goal it to become the most knowledgeable scholar ever all the while slowly dying due to a severe lack of resources." New challenge idea?

On 11/13/2016 at 3:55 AM, mystifeid said:

I would prefer it if skill books were given unique volume numbers. Then all books could be read in any order but skill points would only be received once any precursors in the series were read.

For example, to receive skill points for "Wilderness Cooking Vol 3", both Vol 1 and 2 must also be found and read.

The unique books should be randomly located.

Preferably, in Interloper at least, the number of skill points received per book should be halved.

We approach this idea in a somewhat similar way with Basic and Advanced Skill Books already. I'm curious how frustrated (or not) you would be with your suggestion when you're not able to find the books in the right sequence to make use of them? Interesting in any case! The Skill system is still a work in progress, so we appreciate you ideas. :) 

2 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

I'm curious how frustrated (or not) you would be with your suggestion when you're not able to find the books in the right sequence to make use of them?

Yeah - that was the idea. Make it slower/harder to acquire skill points by reading books and at the same time encourage exploration. At the end of the day though, the same number of skill points would be received. Unless some books were hidden in cunning places.

Probably not that great an idea but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Or just more efficient use of the skill book?

For instance advanced skill books now give double (I think) skill points. What if they only behaved as regular books until the earlier volumes were found? The logic would be you could still learn from the advanced books but since you don't know the basics (yet) you can't get the advanced book's full worth.

51 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Or just more efficient use of the skill book?

For instance advanced skill books now give double (I think) skill points. What if they only behaved as regular books until the earlier volumes were found? The logic would be you could still learn from the advanced books but since you don't know the basics (yet) you can't get the advanced book's full worth.

This is a really good idea.

15 hours ago, Mortan1234 said:

And then you could modify advertising accordingly: "Welcome to the long dark. Your goal it to become the most knowledgeable scholar ever all the while slowly dying due to a severe lack of resources." New challenge idea?

Could be a nice achievement if we don't already have one (I'm not exactly an achievement hunter): "Penitent Scholar - Read every book in the game in one sandbox"

Archived