Fire Duration when fishing - Bug?

Ohbal

I had this thing happening to me yesterday:

- Build a 2 hours fire on a fishing hut. 

- Fish for 1 hour

- The fire has 1:30 left (or something close, I can't remember the exact numbers, but definitelly less than an hour was consumed)

This can be reproduced as many times as you want. 

I have lvl 5 in both fishing and fire making... could there be a variable here not working as intended?

What you're observing is probably not a bug, but in my opinion rather a general UI issue as the UI neither tells you the lvl5 firemaking bonus fire duration nor the lvl 5 fishing reduced fishing time. There are even more factors contributing to the time discrepancy one can observe - if it e.g. gets colder, the fire duration also increases. I guess it's a kind of security mechanism to prevent people from dying in their sleep next to a campfire if they accidentally sleep one or two hours more than the remaining fire duration is.

I actually stopped trying to analyze what's going on with the duration times in detail a while ago and now just live with it. As a rule of thumb, my fires last about 1,5x-2x as long as the display tells me while fishing, that's enough for me to know. :winky:

It still feels like a bug, doesn't it? Currently the game is giving information that is missleading for the player. In case it will stay this way I'd rather change the UI to be generic, for example "your fire has around 2 hours left". I can also live with it, not a game breaking bug, but I think it would be worth looking into :) 

I've noticed this for a while but in the opposite direction. Fire duration increases if the temperature increases. For instance, before the fire building skill was added, you could make a fire at night, sleep for several hours, and wake up with more time left than expected because the ambient temperature increased once the sun came up...

Actually this is not only while fishing but also while reading, sleeping and anything that fast forwards time. Fire duration is usually 1.5 times longer. I think this is certainly a bug. Even the game says fire time is approximate, it should not go that far as 1.5 times longer, and certainly there should also be the case where it could be shorter.

Archived