Cabin Fever on Interloper

Bobfrid

I guess at least 80% of the current cabin fever complaints could be easily avoided if the time you spend crafting indoors wouldn't count towards the interior/exterior 6 day ratio.

Let's face it, except that one working table in CH people don't really have much options NOT to craft indoors. (And it's not particularly intuitive to collect a whole lot of firewood and craft your clothes outdoors on purpose like I for one usually do).

Of course there are also other ways not to get cabin fever with the current mechanics, e.g. not to work on your clothes more than 3h a day or so. But that's apparently not how many players (including me) approach the matter. Once their furs and guts are dried eventually, they probably want to finish the clothes at once. At least that's what I usually do.

Combine this with a malfunctioning risk warning and you get a lot of unhappy people surprised by sudden cabin fever outbreaks that are neither very intuitive from a rl point of view, nor easy to comprehend gameplay-wise. Pretty sure that's where most of the cabin fever complaints come from.

Obviously if the risk warning is not working then that's not good and I'd agree with everything else too.

At the moment though one skill - archery - is still tied to crafting. It's easy to arrive at Desolation Point with 50 feathers and 15 or so birch saplings. Crafting 40 or more arrows should get you to level 2 and further. Maybe it is a good idea that archery skill books are introduced so that skill points for crafting arrows can be dropped and then changes to cabin fever that exclude crafting time could be contemplated.

My only hope is that whatever happens, Interloper does not become any easier.

I agree; Cabin Fever mechanics doesn't make sense at all. I can see getting it if  you are indoors for 3 days continuous but the clock should reset when you go outdoors as long as you are out for about an hour each day, which is relatively easy to accomplish. Maybe there is something else in the pipe to combat cabin fever. Crafting should definitely not cause Cabin Fever. Sleeping and resting and hibernating; that's the issue. Also the whole starvation strategy seems like cheating to me. By that I mean where you don't eat all day until just before sleeping.

My biggest cabin fever complaint is being forced outside in a blizzard while at low condition. I'm a very strong advocate that the penalty for Cabin Fever should be reduced (or zero) condition recovery and that's it. You'll still be in a bad way if you get cabin fever while at low condition but at least you have the time to figure out a practical solution. One that makes sense narratively (why would I get a sudden death wish to go outside in a blizzard at 15% condition?) and mechanically.

9 hours ago, cekivi said:

My biggest cabin fever complaint is being forced outside in a blizzard while at low condition. I'm a very strong advocate that the penalty for Cabin Fever should be reduced (or zero) condition recovery and that's it. You'll still be in a bad way if you get cabin fever while at low condition but at least you have the time to figure out a practical solution. One that makes sense narratively (why would I get a sudden death wish to go outside in a blizzard at 15% condition?) and mechanically.

Why do you feel the need to go outside during a blizzard when you're at low condition and got cabin fever? oO 

You can also wait inside a few hours until the blizzard is over (just accellerate time by repairing clothes/deconstructing furniture/sharpening tools/melting water/crafting sth.) and leave the house once the weather is fine again. It doesn't matter for the cure of cabin fever when exactly you leave the house, you just need to leave it for a few hours within those 24h. At least that's what I do when I get cabin fever. You definitely don't have to stay outside for 24h to cure it. :winky:

There are, however, definitely some situations (cabin fever + blizzard + food poisoning) when you're really screwed and HAVE to go outside immediately with the current mechanics. I totally agree that this is something that should be looked at.

Your zero condition recovery suggestion sounds reasonable to me, but I would combine it with an exhaustion bar regeneration stop at 20% or so. (So you basically remain tired all the time). Just to avoid that people ignore cabin fever alltogether.^^

10 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Your zero condition recovery suggestion sounds reasonable to me, but I would combine it with an exhaustion bar regeneration stop at 20% or so. (So you basically remain tired all the time). Just to avoid that people ignore cabin fever alltogether.^^

Hadn't considered that :big_smile:

Archived