Love for Interloper + Meat intervention

jolynsbass

First, let me praise the interloper mode: It's so much fun, I am in love with it! The sense of vulnerability, constant threat from weather and animals, the victory of a single good find in a house, the satisfaction of certain accomplishments (forging arrowheads, etc.) all are positive points - kudos on a killer survival experience! My personal best is 30 days, having survived 20 of those with intestinal parasites, gotten from eating a single piece of wolf meat (1% chance). Then a wolf ate me - poetic justice I suppose!

Here's one thing that I think will really help with both early and late game: Meat should attract predators, and they should eat it. This should apply to both recently killed carcasses and meat which the player may leave on the ground. Currently, I can place a whole bunch of meat on the ground outside my "home base" and it benefits from the slow decay of the outside cold, but is never at risk of being stolen/eaten by a hungry wolf or bear. Also, a player can chase a deer toward a wolf, have the wolf kill it, and then scare the wolf away. That deer will never be approached by another wolf, whether the player leaves it there for hours or days (for instance a blizzard may hit, and you cannot harvest it right away - returning far after the blizzard is gone, all of the meat is still there, but really, the wolves should have ravaged it.)

So, those are just a couple of thoughts, take them or leave them.

This has been suggested before, but I will vote for it again as I think it is so important: Wolves and bears should eat meat and carcasses lying around openly. I would like the deer carcasses to spawn randomly from time to time in the game. The player should be forced to venture out to either hunt living game or - more often - search for carcasses. The crows could indicate where a fresh carcass may be found. Sometimes it will be a deer with guts, hide and some venison still there for the taking. Other times it will be just a rabbit with 0.3 kg of meat in low condition left. If it is big game, there should be a fair chance that wolves or a bear (or both) are already present when the player approaches. Wolves might tolerate the player watching their meal for some time, but could become agitated after a while and attack the observer. The player might be forced to devise strategies to steal some meat from other predators. Like holding them off with a flare while just grabbing 1 kg of meat or some such. I would really like to see that confrontation of different predators (man included) in the wilderness over scarce food.

7 hours ago, Hotzn said:

This has been suggested before, but I will vote for it again as I think it is so important: Wolves and bears should eat meat and carcasses lying around openly. I would like the deer carcasses to spawn randomly from time to time in the game. The player should be forced to venture out to either hunt living game or - more often - search for carcasses. The crows could indicate where a fresh carcass may be found. Sometimes it will be a deer with guts, hide and some venison still there for the taking. Other times it will be just a rabbit with 0.3 kg of meat in low condition left. If it is big game, there should be a fair chance that wolves or a bear (or both) are already present when the player approaches. Wolves might tolerate the player watching their meal for some time, but could become agitated after a while and attack the observer. The player might be forced to devise strategies to steal some meat from other predators. Like holding them off with a flare while just grabbing 1 kg of meat or some such. I would really like to see that confrontation of different predators (man included) in the wilderness over scarce food.

Interesting idea. Spawning ravaged carcasses would certainly change the food gathering dynamics of the game.

Archived