Backpack volume

Wormer

The idea is simple, while we have items weights it looks a bit unrealistic at times when you carry 10 cans, a lantern, bow, rifle, sleep bag, toolbox, several furs and many more in your backpack. The reality is a bit more complex, because we also have volume limitations. How about introducing volume for more realism?

Yeah, i think the term "backpack" is a little misleading for this all. It's currently more like an inventory system, i think. For example: it doesn't make much sense that your backpack contains the clothes you are currently wearing. Or i would assume that you carry the rifle not in your backpack but somehow on your shoulder. Knife and hatchet are probably somewhere on your belt. And so on. I think it would be a lot of work for the developers to change this all, still it would be cool as future improvement.

On the other hand: you are already very limited of what you can carry: i think it would somehow suck, if backpack would consider volume as well: the backpack would be already full if you only carry some fire-wood and a bottle of water, no? :D

I like the idea of expanded inventory management. Several suggestions related to this concept have come up over time:

- different backpacks with individual carrying capacities  (e.g. The small packs we currently loot from all the way up to hiking packs with reinforced backs. 

- pockets on clothing allowing fast access to items/better weight distribution

- craftable belt kits for holding your axe, knife, lantern  etc. outside the backpack.  

The eventual aim being to separate what it means to stop, take off your pack, set it down, and rummage through for what you need, from accessing stuff you would naturally want to have on hand. 

Not sure if it would be really compelling in reality or just a whole lot of fiddling though. 

Yeah I made a post the other day about pockets - I would really like some way to differ between 'stuff on hand' and 'crap in my backpack'. In my suggestion 'pockets' could hold a limited mount, negated the weight of the item and made it accessible by a hotkey (a bandage in pocket 1 could be slapped on with F1 instead of the wheel, a candy bar in pocket 2 eaten with F2 instead of rummaged from the pack like the rest, F3 is inactive because pocket 3 has a knife to negate it's weight, and Pocket 4 is a the flare gun to negate it's weight, make it F4 and also so when the 'emergency drop pack' button is pressed, it, like the rest of the stuff in the pockets, isn't dropped.

basically I would like to see the carry system gone over to bring it more inline with stylised realisum the visuals and gameplay bear out. I imagine a volume system would play out as the pack represented by a fixed number tiles, with difference items taking up a different amount of tiles depending on their 'size' and then a second overall 'weight' that doesn't have a limit but directly affects the staimia depending on how much is carried.

this would mean you might be able to fit either 40 cans in a bag, or 4 guns in the bag (10 cans stacked seems about a guns rough volume), but would tire faster carrying the heavy cans rather then the unwieldy guns. 

FYI - back of the napkin math says 40 cans would weigh around 24kg, while 4 Lee Enfields would be closer to 16kg (depending on model) 

On 06/10/2016 at 0:02 AM, aurora said:

For example: it doesn't make much sense that your backpack contains the clothes you are currently wearing. Or i would assume that you carry the rifle not in your backpack but somehow on your shoulder. Knife and hatchet are probably somewhere on your belt. And so on. I think it would be a lot of work for the developers to change this all, still it would be cool as future improvement.

I fully agree ! Otherwise and beyond the question of weight, come the question of its distribution. Indeed, a well distributed equipment is better tolerable and we can easyly carry more than we actually do with simple belts, pouches and pockets (cargo pants...).

But I had an (idiot ?) idea... why not craft a sort of "makeshift sled" with some elements like wooden crates, ropes, etc  (or simply find one of them somewhere) to increase our quantity of equipment ? We have a lot of houses, farms and other buildings wich could contain a lot of things, very usefull and coherent things in TLD, because it's very frustrating to find -at last- a rifle, 2 or 3 lanterns, tools, the precious fuel or other things and be forced to abandon them to travel from a map to an other... and need to find the same equipment again and again.

The very first things that human need to survive are a goal, a hope and essentially, the perspective of his own life, and for that, he need few basic possessions. Abandon them is like abandon this perspective of life. Survive is a state of mind which must be fed, permanently.

• 1 month later...

Could I add an idea that has been on my mind for a bit since this seems the most relevant place for it I could find when searching the forum - hopefully I've not missed somewhere more appropriate.

It would be fantastic if the backpack was an item you could actually remove, so you could put down everything stored in it in one place, leaving you with whatever you can store in pocket space in clothing and your hands.

You'd perhaps have to do this to stand a better chance of sleeping well.

You'd maybe do this when hunting. Putting your backpack down to stealth up to a potential kill without the clattering noises of its contents that's already in game scaring the beast away.

It'd bring the idea of being over-encumbered, hauling a big load of stuff between camps or back to your base, and finding yourself in a situation where due to bad weather closing in or animal attack you want to stash your pack or drop it quickly to allow you to move more speedily to escape or seek shelter.

Arma 3 has an inventory system that would work well here.  Your clothing has some space for items. Next you have a space to put web gear, which can carry more things. Finally there is a slot for a ruck sack.  

A system like that would be great in TLD, and while I don't expect to find military web gear in general my sister has some huge purses that would hold a lot of gear.

I agree wholeheartedly on the backpack issue.

- It is a realistic and essential inventory management and should be ideal in a game where we already must scavenge for items.

- make backpacks an item in game, as someone mentioned, small med large, military (ALICE or Rucksack)

- Put hard limits on how much a backpack can carry, this will adversely affect the game in a realistic and positive manner. No i cannot go into 3-4 houses and come out with everything in them.  Overburden? who cares ill walk slower and carry it all back... just not realistic to survival. This i feel is why sometimes people feel the game is too easy when you can loot everything and walk it home.

- make them start to degrade if you over weigh the backpacks. if they are degraded badly (40% and lower) you have a % chance of some random item falling out of your pack to the floor,

- Pockets would be great as well.

- Certain items can only fit into certain size containers (pockets, small backpack, etc) Cant put Fir or Cedar wood in your pocket, not even in a small backpack.. Need to carry it back? Sure, use both hand, (4-6 pieces max to carry in your hands)

- add a craftable backpack, make a large one craftable with deer/wolf pelts, make a Military size equivalent (rucksack) one craftable with a bear pelt!

12 hours ago, djanico said:

I agree wholeheartedly on the backpack issue.

- It is a realistic and essential inventory management and should be ideal in a game where we already must scavenge for items.

- make backpacks an item in game, as someone mentioned, small med large, military (ALICE or Rucksack)

- Put hard limits on how much a backpack can carry, this will adversely affect the game in a realistic and positive manner. No i cannot go into 3-4 houses and come out with everything in them.  Overburden? who cares ill walk slower and carry it all back... just not realistic to survival. This i feel is why sometimes people feel the game is too easy when you can loot everything and walk it home.

- make them start to degrade if you over weigh the backpacks. if they are degraded badly (40% and lower) you have a % chance of some random item falling out of your pack to the floor,

- Pockets would be great as well.

- Certain items can only fit into certain size containers (pockets, small backpack, etc) Cant put Fir or Cedar wood in your pocket, not even in a small backpack.. Need to carry it back? Sure, use both hand, (4-6 pieces max to carry in your hands)

- add a craftable backpack, make a large one craftable with deer/wolf pelts, make a Military size equivalent (rucksack) one craftable with a bear pelt!

I think it'd be simpler at least initially just to have the concept of one backpack that can be worn or put down, and items split into two simple abstracted categories, pocketable and non-pocketable (backpack only). Then add a pocket number stat to some trousers and jackets.

But yes, I do feel like sometimes its possible to carry too much around at all times with no real impact.

And I like the idea of having to maintain your backpack or start to lose small items randomly. That'd be pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2016 at 4:33 PM, Scribble said:

Could I add an idea that has been on my mind for a bit since this seems the most relevant place for it I could find when searching the forum - hopefully I've not missed somewhere more appropriate.

It would be fantastic if the backpack was an item you could actually remove, so you could put down everything stored in it in one place, leaving you with whatever you can store in pocket space in clothing and your hands.

You'd perhaps have to do this to stand a better chance of sleeping well.

You'd maybe do this when hunting. Putting your backpack down to stealth up to a potential kill without the clattering noises of its contents that's already in game scaring the beast away.

It'd bring the idea of being over-encumbered, hauling a big load of stuff between camps or back to your base, and finding yourself in a situation where due to bad weather closing in or animal attack you want to stash your pack or drop it quickly to allow you to move more speedily to escape or seek shelter.

I don't know if someone else mentioned it before, but this is just great man, really innovating!

Archived