The cursed initiative of network engineers

So. It seems that due to the machinations of a network engineer, I will not be enjoying the September test branch, or indeed the update that follows it. Instead I will be grumpily contemplating my lack of hardline internet whilst using inventive swearwords to insult IT support that take unwarranted liberties with your router.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Ouch! I would not be happy if I could not plug in my gaming PC...

Here in the Netherlands houses didn't have grounded outlets (outside of wet rooms like the kitchen and bathroom) until maybe 10-15 years ago and still many new houses don't. Never had a problem running my PC on an ungrounded outlet. But then our plugs and outlets are different. We don't have a 3rd pin for the ground but 2 connectors on the side of the plug. Because of this a grounded plug can be used on a ungrounded outlet.

If you're a handy fellow, you could go to the hardware store and get a grounded socket, an ungrounded plug and some cable and create an adapter to use your computer on a ungrounded outlet. Or just buy a grounded outlet and install it where you want to place your PC. Unless the power fluctuates a lot where you live this will work just fine.

On 2016-09-13 at 2:23 AM, elloco999 said:

Or just buy a grounded outlet and install it where you want to place your PC

That was my original plan but since I'm renting I'm fairly sure this would be illegal. You can change things in your own home but need a licence (under provincial law) to modify certain dwellings. My landlord said she'll get one installed (one of the outlets is broken and a fire hazard so needs replacing anyways) but I have to wait a few weeks. Until then, I think I'll try jury rigging something with an extension cord :silly:

Just now, cekivi said:

That was my original plan but since I'm renting I'm fairly sure this would be illegal. You can change things in your own home but need a licence (under provincial law) to modify certain dwellings. My landlord said she'll get one installed (one of the outlets is broken and a fire hazard so needs replacing anyways) but I have to wait a few weeks. Until then, I think I'll try jury rigging something with an extension cord :silly:

Be careful though, your PSU might not like this. 

Just now, cekivi said:

Well, fingers crossed it will be OK. Otherwise I guess I'm setting up my PC on my kitchen counter! ^_^

Your PSU might like that even less :D

but hey, I misread your last post so your extension cord idea should work just fine.*

*While I did say that, I'm not an expert and I am not responsible for any damages

1 hour ago, EternityTide said:

Might just venture into the loftspace with a coil of CAT 5 and see if I can reroute through the other side of my house. Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to inhaling decade old cobwebs I go.

Also, perhaps, asbestos and several varieties of interesting molds and fungi :silly:

Archived