Mobile shelters

Paleojake

This probably has been discussed before, but I think more craftable shelters should be available. I know Hinterland has mentioned adding more, so here are some ideas; tipi made from maybe 5 cured deer skins and sticks, wigwam 3 deer skins and sticks, debris hut possibly a seasonal variant of the snow shelter??, and maybe with the addition of a shovel a burrow or hollow type thing? The developers want people to move around and explore, but many want to have more of a home base. Something like this could be a suitable in between. Also maybe have some degree of customization with them like building crude shelves to place items, or birch bark boxes? What do you guys think?

16 hours ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

tipi or something with leather and deer skins: i say yes !

I already love snow shelter too but the problem is we loose 1 or 2 piece of fabric each time we build it. That 's  too many ! This not encourage us to live nomadly with snow shelter.

Cloth shouldn't be a problem though. You can harvest a lot in houses. You know you can break down pillows, curtains, etc. right?

Welcome to the forums @Paleojake! ^_^

And tarps would be good mainly as a wind/water break. To warm them up you'd need a heat source of some description since tarps (as @Dirmagnos points out) don't have much insulating ability. If you had a big tarp and could make what is effectively a tent then even something small like a candle would warm it up since there'd be no wind to wick heat away.

Long story short, tarps are great wind blockers but nowhere near as good as snow (the snow shelter) or tipis (traditionally made with hides) when it comes to insulating ability.

The tarp idea would be better for when/if spring came. Or just as a quick emergency type shelter. Though doubled as an interior liner in something like a tent really makes a world of difference. I've done it several times while camping in the winter here in Wisconsin. A lot of body heat is lost just being on cold ground, the little bit can make a huge difference. I don't see how that would work in game though. Like I said, better as a spring time or emergency shelter. Or as an alternative to using cured skins. It's a lot more durable than cloth.

Archived