crafting zip guns?

Ikeo

This just a spitball but what if you could gather materials such as several pieces of scrap metal, wood, craft a firing pin from a fishing hook, and use regular ammo but have a short duration and need repairs after a few shots. Or even a craft able air gun out of the same but with more scrap metal or some can or container for the pressurized air and you'd need to pump it up before a shot but only make it able to kill a rabbit or bird and over pressurizing it would damage and if it is it would leak air and cause a less powerful shot. Other than that i guess the ammo could be made from small rocks/pebbles or from scrap metal.

Homemade guns have been discussed before, but I'll tell you why I, personally, am against them anyway:

• Risk vs. reward. I wouldn't even trust a gun built by a certified gunsmith, hell, even by Colonel Colt himself, if it's made from inferior materials. Things tend to get explodey.
  • There's sufficient firearms both in the game and on the roadmap. Improvised rifle cleaning kits would make a whole lot more sense.
  • The bow would be completely redundant.
  • The equipment needed to produce these things is not in the game and likely broken anyway (welding equipment etc.)
  • what @nicko said

honestly I think rifles and guns should be found in this game, I feel the crafting shouldn't go to that level of intricacy in this game. I feel they should either add a furnance in every zone or remove the requirement that you need a furnance to craft arrowheads so people use the bow more often then the rifle. Majority of the time my first weapon will always be the rifle as I start in mystery lake and move up to the other zones as sources become depleted.

On 8/24/2016 at 10:55 AM, Wastelander said:

Homemade guns have been discussed before, but I'll tell you why I, personally, am against them anyway:

• Risk vs. reward. I wouldn't even trust a gun built by a certified gunsmith, hell, even by Colonel Colt himself, if it's made from inferior materials. Things tend to get explodey.
  • There's sufficient firearms both in the game and on the roadmap. Improvised rifle cleaning kits would make a whole lot more sense.
  • The bow would be completely redundant.
  • The equipment needed to produce these things is not in the game and likely broken anyway (welding equipment etc.)
  • what @nicko said

I agree.  Even as it stands now, there are so many guns and bullets.  I've scoured the map and have at least (not in game to see) 7 rifles and over 133 shells - and that's having already fired around 20 (its day 150ish).

On 27.8.2016 at 0:11 AM, Survive757 said:

honestly I think rifles and guns should be found in this game, I feel the crafting shouldn't go to that level of intricacy in this game. I feel they should either add a furnance in every zone or remove the requirement that you need a furnance to craft arrowheads so people use the bow more often then the rifle. Majority of the time my first weapon will always be the rifle as I start in mystery lake and move up to the other zones as sources become depleted.

Also, as I said, the equipment to make guns simply isn't in the game, and quite frankly wouldn't work due to the event that made TLD what it is. At the very least you need welding equipment. Sure, you could heat up the metal in the forge and try to hammer it into shape, but would it be precise? Nope, such a gun would fire maybe once or twice and then explode in the users hand. Then you need detailed mechanical knowledge of how hammers or firing pins or whatever work, which is something few people know. Granted, there could be a book about it, but that still doesn't fix the lack of electricity to weld with :D 

The point I'm trying to make is that sure, people can build guns. But why would we with so many alternatives just laying around when crafting a gun is a pretty difficult endeavour? People craft guns either as a hobby or to overthrow their governments IRL, and those guns are 99% single-use to kill soldiers or other forces in order to loot real guns.

Archived