Moose products

Hiemalis

So moose are actually coming. It may be in the august update, who knows?, may be in a few months or years, but they'll eventually come.

What products do you think we will be able to extract from their carcasses and, more importantly, what will we be able to do/craft with them?

I think it's safe to say we'll eat the meat and use their guts in the regular way. But what about the hide? There's enough hide for more than a few hats, so... I don't know, another craftable coat?

Do you think they're going to introduce another material type, such as antlers? After all, it's somewhat hard to ignore them.

8 minutes ago, Hiemalis said:

So moose are actually coming. It may be in the august update, who knows?, may be in a few months or years, but they'll eventually come.

What products do you think we will be able to extract from their carcasses and, more importantly, what will we be able to do/craft with them?

I think it's safe to say we'll eat the meat and use their guts in the regular way. But what about the hide? There's enough hide for more than a few hats, so... I don't know, another craftable coat?

Do you think they're going to introduce another material type, such as antlers? After all, it's somewhat hard to ignore them.

I want them to think about meat storing!!

400 Kg moose shouldn't waste out there!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Rifleman said:

If you can harvest the hide you can make new clothes so it's safe to say that there are new items.

Only if the devs treat the hide as different than the current deer hide. If they don't you'll only be using it to make the same pants and boots we've always made.

What else can be made with the antlers? Fishing hooks, sewing needles, anything that can be made from regular bone? (I just read it here; antlers weigh approximately 40 kg/88 lb. Man. That's a lot of material; we as survivors definitely shouldn't let this go to waste.)

And I think it's unlikely they're going to normalize hides. It'd be awkward, game-designwise, to have "generic hide" and then "wolf hide" and "bear hide". In my head it's clear they're going to add some other craftable item.

28 minutes ago, Hiemalis said:

What else can be made with the antlers? Fishing hooks, sewing needles, anything that can be made from regular bone? (I just read it here; antlers weigh approximately 40 kg/88 lb. Man. That's a lot of material; we as survivors definitely shouldn't let this go to waste.)

And I think it's unlikely they're going to normalize hides. It'd be awkward, game-designwise, to have "generic hide" and then "wolf hide" and "bear hide". In my head it's clear they're going to add some other craftable item.

On 2016-08-11 at 0:57 PM, miah999 said:

Only if the devs treat the hide as different than the current deer hide. If they don't you'll only be using it to make the same pants and boots we've always made.

Which is fine. Moose hide is much tougher and warmer than deer hide so you'd have higher quality (lower decay, more warmth) boots and pants with moose hide.

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

Which is fine. Moose hide is much tougher and warmer than deer hide so you'd have higher quality (lower decay, more warmth) boots and pants with moose hide.

Wouldn't that trivialize the end-game weather threat? On the other hand, they're planning to reiterate the whole clothing system, so maybe there's something...

I've always wanted for craftable headgear for our characters! 

It's always felt odd to me that we still have to wear some bright red toque when the rest of our clothes were made of animal pelts. Some fur headgear would really complete the 'all self-made' feel to the protective gear. 

Archived