Fire Pits and Optics

strigon

After spending a week up in a cabin, I noticed two rather large things missing from TLD that I haven't seen people discuss (though that isn't to say they've never been discussed in the past); as you might have guessed, those two are fire pits and optics - binoculars, spotting scopes and the like.

A fire pit could be simple; similar to building a snow shelter, but it would take longer and cost no materials (technically it would need stones, but the time spent searching for stones can simply be abstracted into the construction time). I'm thinking ~2 hours to build, but then any fires you light at that location from then on would last slightly longer, and be resistant to wind. The time when it's just "embers" could also be drastically increased - a good fire can still have some embers after being left overnight, though not enough to be terribly useful. This would be very good for when you're using a base, either just for a few days or for months on end, and would reduce the ridiculous number of burnt out fires littering the landscape.

Secondly, optics. Admittedly, somewhat less useful as it's rare that you have to see something small from far enough away to make them worth it, but carrying a pair of binoculars seems like something I'd do in this situation. Spotting shelter, corpses, and wolves from further away can only be a good thing, right?

What say you, community?

I have certainly found myself wishing I had binoculars on more than one occasion. As far as the fire pit, I don't know really about making it more wind resistant but I would love to not have to stack fires and would certainly like the increased ember time. 

+ 1 for the binoculars! I also found myself wishing many times that item was in the game.

It would be fun if the devs made it really rare, like the flare gun. I know the older types of binoculars can be pretty heavy. So it could probably add significant weight to your backpack. Would you still carry it around?

Maybe not quite as rare as a flare gun. Perhaps have some heavier, cheaper ones that are easier to find, and then a really nice set with adjustable zoom and everything that's both light and super rare?

As for whether I'd carry it around, it depends. If I had spare weight, yes. If I was exploring an area, where I already had a sort of base, yes.
If I was setting up to leave an area and find a new place to live, probably not. I need to move fast, and carry food.

Archived