Plane wreckage at spawn point

Packet802

Would be really cool if there was some small plane wreckage at the spawn point when you start a new game. This would represent the plane you were flying when it crashed at the start of the game. Not TW mtn plane type wreckage but some small Cessna style plane with a cockpit similar to a car that you can get back in. Maybe a flare or a couple other small items inside it.  I think this has been suggested before and should be a pretty easy kill to implement. It would also add immersion especially for new players and help to make a great first impression. You only get one chance to make a first impression! I just took a few months off from playing this after my 201 day run came to an end and decided to start a new sandbox to check out all the changes from the last few patches.  It's fun rediscovering everything but still had that feeling of "how did I get here" when you just start in a random place with nothing around. Would also be fun to go back and visit the wreckage where you started on day 100 or something!  :-)

Yeah that would be cool! On stalker you can start with bear attack type injuries. On voyager you start with maybe a sprained ankle and lacerations. They can even build up a mini new player tutorial instructing the player to search the aircraft wreckage for the first aid kit and then find some initial supplies to treat the injuries before moving out. Would be nice!

I suppose they are saving story's from being forced upon you until story mode comes out. The plane wreck on timber wolf mountain seems to be un connect with sandbox game play. I found a note from someone who heard the crash at nigh from a cabin at the base of the mountain, and from the way they have delayed story-mode seems to mean they are going to add whole new regions to play around with the bush pilot.

One of the things that i love about the Long Dark sandbox is the complete lack of background (if you ignore the little blurb at the start of a game, not sure if that is just on xbox one still). This allows me to make it up entirely myself, such as recently starting the Whiteout challenge, starting me in the Petrol station, I decided that my background was that I was driving up the road when whatever disaster happened and I blacked out, for an un determined amount of time, and then headed back to the garage as I left it only minutes before "it' hit.

The sandbox game play is left so open, your very survival is a story of its own. Although i am looking forward to a story lead game play, the trailer for it looks so intriguing, can we now use axes as weapons? how will npc's function? It's all still to look forward to!

On 7/13/2016 at 7:48 AM, Packet802 said:

Would be really cool if there was some small plane wreckage at the spawn point when you start a new game. This would represent the plane you were flying when it crashed at the start of the game. Not TW mtn plane type wreckage but some small Cessna style plane with a cockpit similar to a car that you can get back in. Maybe a flare or a couple other small items inside it.  I think this has been suggested before and should be a pretty easy kill to implement. It would also add immersion especially for new players and help to make a great first impression. You only get one chance to make a first impression! I just took a few months off from playing this after my 201 day run came to an end and decided to start a new sandbox to check out all the changes from the last few patches.  It's fun rediscovering everything but still had that feeling of "how did I get here" when you just start in a random place with nothing around. Would also be fun to go back and visit the wreckage where you started on day 100 or something!  :-)

I think that the plane should be ripped apart so you can't go in it. It shouldn't be able to be used as a shelter. Also, it would be pretty hard to implement. Unless the devs wan't to reduce the spawn points they would have to spend at least a month making plane crashes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Haha....was watching a first day player on twitch yesterday.  Tuned in just in time to see him die in desolation point from a wolf after 4 days. He says that was his third attempt and the longest he has lived so far.  He says that this is fun and will start another game. He asks people in his chat who appear to be all new to the game as well, which map he should try.  I didn't say anything.  They decide on pleasant valley and starts a new voyager sandbox. He reads the bit about "your plane has crashed in the northern Canadian wilderness, how long can you survive" out loud on twitch and starts in pleasant valley.  When he got in the game he spins around and looks and asks "where's the plane wreck I was flying?"   Lol doesn't see any and moves on.

Hate to say I told you so but I told you so!  lol!!  Little things like that will make a good first impression on new players and add to immersion.  Your welcome!

On July 14, 2016 at 5:38 PM, sir ice said:

I think that the plane should be ripped apart so you can't go in it. It shouldn't be able to be used as a shelter. Also, it would be pretty hard to implement. Unless the devs wan't to reduce the spawn points they would have to spend at least a month making plane crashes. 

Shouldn't be too hard to implement. All they have to do is create a new object and have it spawn where the player spawns. I'm sure all the spawn points have probably been defined. They could use a car object as a starting model for the plane. Little Cessna planes aren't much bigger than cars.

Archived