Fishing Huts... In Summer??

FrozenScorpion

Has anybody ever thought about what would happen to all the fishing huts, once the thaw is brought on (when seasons are introduced)?

Here's my take, when the Spring Thaw starts (once all four seasons are in), they could be on platforms that float in place due to anchors, and when the lake freezes and the snow falls, the platforms are not visible. Or they could be on platforms that are on support poles that go into the water down to the bottom like one of those freestanding piers (of which I can't find a decent stock photo of one on google, just lots of docks).

What are your thoughts?

I was thinking they could be on the shoreline, whether in groups in certain areas or linearly across from their winter counterparts. Most fishing huts are slide out onto the ice when the season is ready, so I can see certain areas having groups of them "renting" the off-season space.

Nope, ice huts don't float. They're usually on skis and would sink right to the bottom when the ice melts. Trying to save an ice hut by dragging it to shore (maybe with a horse or an NPC?) would make for very interesting gameplay in the spring though.

9 hours ago, cekivi said:

Nope, ice huts don't float. They're usually on skis and would sink right to the bottom when the ice melts. Trying to save an ice hut by dragging it to shore (maybe with a horse or an NPC?) would make for very interesting gameplay in the spring though.

@Cekivi echoes exactly what my thought was on this game-play mechanic.  While I hadn't given the horse or NPC aspect much thought I definitely feel that it should be up to the player to ensure that any huts they wish to utilize the following winter are pushed or pulled safely to shore.  If no huts are recovered then they all sink when the ice thaws.

This is one of the very few things about seasons that actually worries me. Permanent changes to the map will need to be made once the first ice thaws since there's noone to take care of the huts anymore, and I don't really know about the resource impact on the program itself. If it can be done smoothly and efficiently - like with Fallout 3 when you decide to nuke Megaton (and since Moira Brown survives anyway, there's literally no reason to do it) - yeah, let's go for it. But yeah, this will either be easy or problematic, maybe one of the devs could give us some insight?

And if they don't change the terrain, I'm actually losing faith there - such a beautifully crafted game, which is more of an experience and a work of art than a simple game should not be sullied by such oversights. But I guess that since the devs read this forum too, they're aware, so I'm kind of hopeful in that regard, and, as I stated numerous times before, Hinterland have yet to disappoint me.

Archived