Can We Separate the Units Please?

So this is a fairly Canadian-specific request.

I find that most Canadians in my age group are like me in what unit scales they understand. I know what temperature is in Celsius, distance in Kms, people height in ft, and weights in lbs.

Can we make what scale your weight is and what the temperature is two different options? When I look at something in TLD I actually have to take a second and multiply its weight by 2.2 to really understand what it weighs. I tried going imperial for a while, but I do not understand Deg F. "22 degrees? That CAN'T be that cold!" *dies of hypothermia*

As an engineer, I love metric units of measure. Very easy to work with and very easy to figure out the weight of liquid for instance.

As an American, Imperial is the way I grew up understanding and is much easier for me to visualize. To me 30kg doesn't sound like much, but 66lb does. One gallon = 3.78 Liters, I can visualize a gallon and I can see 2 liters (thanks to soda bottles) but I can't tell you how much a gallon of water weighs off hand (3.78l = 3.78kg).

Temps are a hassle to try and convert and/or visualize without experience doing it. 32F (0C) is freezing point of water, 212F (100C) is boiling point. A nice day out is 70F for me, but 70C is Hotter than Hell. 22F is cold, watch for possibilities of icy roads, but 22C is a nice day out.

For gameplay purposes (and physics work) I use metric.

i am convinced that the Metric system is based on 1 Liter of Water.

Sorry @Canadian Beaver but I don't know if the devs would have time for that. Although I know exactly what you're talking about ^_^

I'd recommend just using metric for now. The only thing in the game that's not already commonly metric in Canada are the food and clothing weights. Plus, like you said, trying to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius is just confusing :frown:

4 hours ago, FrozenScorpion said:

As an engineer, I love metric units of measure. Very easy to work with and very easy to figure out the weight of liquid for instance.

As an American, Imperial is the way I grew up understanding and is much easier for me to visualize. To me 30kg doesn't sound like much, but 66lb does. One gallon = 3.78 Liters, I can visualize a gallon and I can see 2 liters (thanks to soda bottles) but I can't tell you how much a gallon of water weighs off hand (3.78l = 3.78kg).

Temps are a hassle to try and convert and/or visualize without experience doing it. 32F (0C) is freezing point of water, 212F (100C) is boiling point. A nice day out is 70F for me, but 70C is Hotter than Hell. 22F is cold, watch for possibilities of icy roads, but 22C is a nice day out.

For gameplay purposes (and physics work) I use metric.

i am convinced that the Metric system is based on 1 Liter of Water.

Like you, @FrozenScorpion I am also an engineer (by education...my job title SAYS combat engineer, but it's less engineering and more combat). However, where I grew up we didn't talk about weights in metric. I still don't talk about any human-portable weights in kilos.

@cekivi, Do you really think it would be that much extra work? From my relatively basic knowledge of coding, it would not add too much to the programme. I definitely don't think it should be in the next update or anything, I just think it would be a nice tune to the UI before the game comes out of Alpha.

Well, you'd have Metric, Imperial, and "Canadian" which may get confusing for some people. Also, I don't know how it's coded either. It could be really simple (e.g. read column A for temp, column B for weights) or something crazy difficult

i spent months teaching myself celcius and kilos in this game just to find out recently that the units can be changed.

and now i've forgotten how to read farenheit.. xD

its for the best anyway, considering that most people on the forums, when talking about the game, use metric measurements. it helps knowing how to, yourself, aswell.

I'm a US resident, grew up with "Imperial" units (weird to be calling these that, when to us it's "English").

But because of my graduate education and profession, I've become accustomed to using metric, including degrees Celsius. So kgs are easy, as I convert back and forth between lbs and kgs all the time, so that conversion equation is engraved in my head (1 kg = 2.2 lbs, so 10 kgs = 22 lbs). Same with temperatures - 0C reads same as 32F, or freezing point, and 37C is human body temperature, or 98.6F (normal temp, anyway). A lot of microbiology uses 37C as a benchmark (bacteria that will grow at 37C versus those that prefer cooler temps, for example). 

It's nice to be flexible in terms of measurements . . . 

Archived