It's all about....Fallout ;)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On July 9, 2016 at 7:26 AM, cekivi said:

I've actually got Fallout 2 on disk. I always play it with the restoration mod. I really have to play the games in sequence once I get some spare time! :D

I'm enjoying this FO2 more than my previous one. Maybe a better character than before. 

I'm starting to really miss The Long Dark lately though :$

On 9.7.2016 at 0:26 AM, cekivi said:

I've actually got Fallout 2 on disk. I always play it with the restoration mod. I really have to play the games in sequence once I get some spare time! :D

A good friend of mine gave me originals of Fallout 1&2 for my birthday last year after he learned that my ex-gf displaced mine. I still give that guy a manly hug whenever I see him :D

Know what I liked most about the early Fallout games? They hated your guts - Fallout 3 and New Vegas are great games, but it always feels a bit like someone it holding my hand through the entire thing whereas the earlier Fallout give you your character, slap you on the back of your head and say "Okay, have fun. Help? What's that? Oh, look a Deathclaw.". Sometimes I need a game to be mean to me - this is also what drew me to games such as The Long Dark, Rimworld, This War of Mine..

To this day I regret using a walkthrough for Fallout 1 because I couldn't figure out how to get into Vault 15 or use the world map to explore. Or even how combat worked... So I wouldn't have minded a little help! :D

A friend had loaned me the disks but didn't have the manuals (remember when games came with those? ^_^). So I really had no idea what I was doing. I still had a lot of fun with Fallout but it would have been better with a spoiler free guide. On the bright side, it was an excellent object lesson on why you shouldn't use guides unless you are really stuck/lost or the game is very obtuse.

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

To this day I regret using a walkthrough for Fallout 1 because I couldn't figure out how to get into Vault 15 or use the world map to explore. Or even how combat worked... So I wouldn't have minded a little help! :D

A friend had loaned me the disks but didn't have the manuals (remember when games came with those? ^_^). So I really had no idea what I was doing. I still had a lot of fun with Fallout but it would have been better with a spoiler free guide. On the bright side, it was an excellent object lesson on why you shouldn't use guides unless you are really stuck/lost or the game is very obtuse.

I only use walkthroughs either after I've finished a game to see what I missed or if I'm *really* stuck (like not knowing that I needed *25* rosehips to make tea ;) ). When I actually figure something out I get a real kick out of that!

I also get a kick out of sometimes quick-saving and then using the dynamite on walls or doors. Good, clean fun:silly:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just got NV but I'm playing TLD so much I haven't gotten very far: but I do like what I've played...and I love that it's in color unlike the FO3 asthetic (which is one of many things that sets FO3 apart) . But it's the only Fallout Game I own through steam that I can both play and get my recording software to work on. Fallout 3 starts just fine but my recording software is hit and miss which is a pain in the butt.

I have Fallout 4 but my laptop is not some alienware rig so it simply will not start worth anything.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, oh god a wolf said:

Might we talk about the different dlc's of this great franchise and which is the best because personally I enjoy Mothership Zeta and Old World Blues.

For me, The Pitt, hands down. I love moral ambiguity and - this is the most spoiler-free argument I can give to that - The Pitt has very few morally "correct" choices (well, for the concerned thinker at least. The Karma system disagrees)

Just now, cekivi said:

The Pitt was good. So was Old World Blues. I really disliked Mothership Zeta though. It is super canon breaking (you nuke half the continent!) and I just didn't find the endless tunnels very fun to run down (it got old fast).

Not to mention the fluff violation taking place in Mothership Zeta concerning the Great War

Not much apparently :side-eye:

I probably already mentioned that I think Fallout 3 is a fine game (and so is Fallout 4 in its own way) but neither are good Fallout games. Just the amount of cannon that is ignored/broken and the poorly thought through ramifications of plot lines is just sad considering what Obsidian did with the license in New Vegas. The Bethesda games... well, they just don't fit the atmosphere of the originals.

Whether Fallout 3 is better than Fallout Tactics would be an interesting debate (those are two very different genres of game!). I'm just glad that (so far) Bethesda hasn't pulled a second Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel :silly:

• 6 months later...
On 6/13/2016 at 10:37 AM, cekivi said:

@Wasteland Watcher: I really disliked Mothership Zeta but I actually got a big kick out of Old World Blues. It reminded me a lot of the old black and white 50's Sci-Fi and I thought the humor was spot on ^_^

I also seem to have noticed a trend that the first Fallout game you play seems to influence which sequels you like better. I played Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics back in high school. So, for the longest time, those were "the" Fallout games. At one point I even got desperate enough to try Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. My advice: do not try Fallout: BOS unless you're looking for a terrible game that's almost (but not quite) "so bad it's good".

Fallout 4: The "new and improved Fallout: BOS" :P

20 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Fallout 4: The "new and improved Fallout: BOS" :P

:D

I was playing Fallout 4 on my brother-in-law's Xbox when I was home for Christmas. Truthfully, it is an OK if somewhat boring game. It just is definitely, 100%, not a Fallout game :D 

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

:D

I was playing Fallout 4 on my brother-in-law's Xbox when I was home for Christmas. Truthfully, it is an OK if somewhat boring game. It just is definitely, 100%, not a Fallout game :D 

Good morning Cekivi :)
I agree with your assessment 100%.  After we were talking about Fallout last year I started playing 1 through 3 for a bit and it was fun! Even after all this time it was still fun.
Recently I used mods to try to "fix" FO4 but still...it was exactly as you described: Okay but just kinda boring. 

1 hour ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Good morning Cekivi :)
I agree with your assessment 100%.  After we were talking about Fallout last year I started playing 1 through 3 for a bit and it was fun! Even after all this time it was still fun.
Recently I used mods to try to "fix" FO4 but still...it was exactly as you described: Okay but just kinda boring. 

Yeah. Who would have thought stripping the humour, role playing, and conversation trees out of a classic RPG would make a mediocre FPS? :D

Just now, cekivi said:

Yeah. Who would have thought stripping the humour, role playing, and conversation trees out of a classic RPG would make a mediocre FPS? :D

Lol I have the answer to that question: 'genius,' Todd Howard :P

Which is weird because I loved (still love) Fallout 3 cause the world 'felt' and acted alive. I wonder if he wasn't actually the creative genius behind that one. Or if he drastically changed after making 3...

Even Fallout 3 was drifting more towards the FPS than RPG genres. If you compare Fallout 3 to Fallout New Vegas you can see the difference in emphasis between spectacle (let's nuke a town!) versus substance (do you ally with House, NCR, Legion, or Vegas?). 

10 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Even Fallout 3 was drifting more towards the FPS than RPG genres. If you compare Fallout 3 to Fallout New Vegas you can see the difference in emphasis between spectacle (let's nuke a town!) versus substance (do you ally with House, NCR, Legion, or Vegas?). 

I agree with you, but to its credit, fo3 allowed me to role-play exactly the kind of game that I enjoyed most: a semi pacifistic, animal friendly, loner like hanging out with other "outcasts from society," like Jericho or Charon. 

My karma was (after my first Playthru where I was "good") always neutral and it was fun and easy .

I think what I liked about 3 and appreciate so much is that it kind of did cater to every single kind of play style, whether you wanted to be completely violent or, solve (almost) every single problem through nonviolent means. 

I think that's what aggravated me about fo4 so much is that violence was always the means to the end.  Lowbrow and boring :/

Archived