More keyboard controls please

Eames

Do you use keyboard when navigating UI?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Devs have added *some* keyboard support. For example you can scroll through lists with WASD and select with Enter. It's not implemented everywhere though. For example you can't select amount of hours to sleep with the keys. You also cannot go through tabs in fire and backpack UI's. Using numbers for that would be excellent.

4 hours ago, Eames said:

Devs have added *some* keyboard support. For example you can scroll through lists with WASD and select with Enter. It's not implemented everywhere though. For example you can't select amount of hours to sleep with the keys. You also cannot go through tabs in fire and backpack UI's. Using numbers for that would be excellent.

Just to understand your preference a bit better: In terms of more keyboard options, is it an issue of "speed" for you? Comfort?

Both. Because of how current UI is designed, sequential buttons are often placed on the opposite sides of the screen. That's uncomfortable and slow. It would be great to control everything with a keyboard – put in firewood, then switch tab (press 2) and cook food, then switch tab (press 3) and boil water. Not only it's faster (because keys), but it would also become a muscle memory thing since no need to "aim" with the mouse. All in all, I'm glad that *some* keyboard controls were added, but frustrated that *not everywhere*. If Xbox has this privilege, why not us PC players?

I'm with @Eames on this. When I play Oblivion or Skyrim, I keyboard almost exclusively through the inventory and crafting menus. It's just quicker and more efficient for me to do so. I have worn down the "Tab" and "Enter" markings on my desktop keyboard as much, if not more, than the WASD and Shift (for automove toggle) keys. It really saves having to switch between keyboard and mouse. In fact, I use the mouse only to interact with the game environment (turn/look, use/activate) and everything else is via keyboard. 

Interestingly, though I am left-handed, I use the mouse right-handed and keep all my vital keys under my left hand. 

• 2 years later...

Archived