a matter of size

Axtos

I'm living on the Jackrabbit Hill. And of course i use snares there. Now i note two things which i not like. First, most of the Rabbits got 1.1 - 1.5kg meat. So long so good. But why need a 0,1kg meat the same time (and wood) to cooking like a 1.0kg pice of meat? And why decay my Knife by a tiny rabbit with the same rate if i cut a whole deer? Thats unfair for all who love this tasty rabbits.. :-)

1 hour ago, Axtos said:

I'm living on the Jackrabbit Hill. And of course i use snares there. Now i note two things which i not like. First, most of the Rabbits got 1.1 - 1.5kg meat. So long so good. But why need a 0,1kg meat the same time (and wood) to cooking like a 1.0kg pice of meat? And why decay my Knife by a tiny rabbit with the same rate if i cut a whole deer? Thats unfair for all who love this tasty rabbits.. :-)

Yeah the rabbit cooking bits sort of annoys me as well. I guess the .1kg, .2kg bits come in handy for dropping bait etc. that is probably the idea behind the small bits? I guess you don't have to harvest and cook them.

yes there should be less wear on knife if skinning smaller game such a rabbits, compered to deer.

You can actually skin rabbits by hand. So all you need the knife for, really, is making that first cut into the skin (and that's only if it hasn't already been opened, say by a wolf or something). The fibers holding the skin on the body in rabbits are actually very fragile. 

Deer on the other hand, are tougher. You not only need to cut the skin to start the process, but over most of the carcass you need to use a blade to cut those fibers. It is possible to skin by hand if the carcass (already gutted) is hanging from the rafters or a tree, but much harder if it's laying on the ground. 

So I'm with you on the annoyances of cooking the little bits and the knife wear . . .

Archived