Salvaging tools

Wastelander

I always wondered how the scrap metal harvested from a rifle could be used to repair storm lanterns. Can we have items like 'rifle parts', 'hatchet head' etc. instead?

These would be used to repair/craft the appropriate items. For example, while a rifle cleaning kit would last long but give only low conditions boosts an use the cleaning skill, a repair using rifle parts would use the repair skill, use up the rifle parts and give a significant condition boost. Also, hatched heads could be used to craft a new hatchet (because let's face it, when a hatchet breaks, it would probably be the handle, not the head.)

Any ideas? Opinions?

Just now, Wastelander said:

I always wondered how the scrap metal harvested from a rifle could be used to repair storm lanterns. Can we have items like 'rifle parts', 'hatchet head' etc. instead?

These would be used to repair/craft the appropriate items. For example, while a rifle cleaning kit would last long but give only low conditions boosts an use the cleaning skill, a repair using rifle parts would use the repair skill, use up the rifle parts and give a significant condition boost. Also, hatched heads could be used to craft a new hatchet (because let's face it, when a hatchet breaks, it would probably be the handle, not the head.)

Any ideas? Opinions?

Yes I believe that you are right, why do we have arrow heads but not hatched blade? or rifle parts. There is not much to be added here your idea makes sense, also using 2 different skills to repair the same tool would give much flavor to the game. we should only scrap forged items because they are crude. Here is my thought on this mater:

When we harvest the hatched we should get hatched head, and with it we can repair another hatched which is currently under 25%. how much it will be repaired would depend on the repair skill but it can never be more than 25%. And you would need workbench to do that, also you can never harvest a broken hatched but you can repair one with this mechanic.  Same mechanics could be used for the rifle.

Crafting new hatched however would be game braking I'm afraid because wood is common. Although it is more realistic it will brake the game. unless we use some less common material like maple saplings? 

+1

Ah that's great you mentioned it. It actually makes a lot of sense.But maybe both should co-exist, to allow small repairs or big repairs!

Even better, what if, once an item is too worn off (like below 40%) it becomes impossible to repair with just scrap of metal, so using a part of [insert items name] is the only way to save the said item!

To add a bit more difficulty, perhaps repairing too much an item with scraps of metal makes it totally un-repairable at a point and using new parts becomes the only way to save the item, just like in real life in fact.

Another idea, based on your the hatchet statement, if only the handle of the hatchet breaks, it should be possible to craft another handle from reclaimed woods ( for example ) but it would be more prone to degradation since it's not the original one.

How does this sounds? B|

Just now, Resethel said:

Ah that's great you mentioned it. It actually makes a lot of sense.But maybe both should co-exist, to allow small repairs or big repairs!

Even better, what if, once an item is too worn off (like below 40%) it becomes impossible to repair with just scrap of metal, so using a part of [insert items name] is the only way to save the said item!

To add a bit more difficulty, perhaps repairing too much an item with scraps of metal makes it totally un-repairable at a point and using new parts becomes the only way to save the item, just like in real life in fact.

Another idea, based on your the hatchet statement, if only the handle of the hatchet breaks, it should be possible to craft another handle from reclaimed woods ( for example ) but it would be more prone to degradation since it's not the original one.

How does this sounds? B|

Well reclaimed wood is still common thus game braking, but here it is I've got it:

Each item can have another status bar for example for knives and hatchets could be dullness or sharpness whichever will fit. how will this work?

when your sharpness let's say bar gets filled you can't sharp the hatched anymore until you change the blade then it resets to 0. same thing could be used for other items like the lamp. I even thought of the message that will appear, it would say: to repair this item further you'll need new parts. 

Let's see now an example of how it will the whole system work:

You have a hatched at 10% with 0% sharpness bar you use whetstone to sharpen it and at some point your  sharpness bar reaches 100% and you get the message: to repair this item further you'll need new parts. So you need to find another hatched and harvest it to get the blade and then use it to reset the sharpness bar to 0%, also you can never harvest a hatched with 100% sharpness bar. With a few balances here and there it would be awesome mechanic. Your idea of 40% could work too but why be linear I'm sure that adding another bar will be not much of a big deal to the Devs right? 

42 minutes ago, vancopower said:

Well reclaimed wood is still common thus game braking, but here it is I've got it:

Each item can have another status bar for example for knives and hatchets could be dullness or sharpness whichever will fit. how will this work?

when your sharpness let's say bar gets filled you can't sharp the hatched anymore until you change the blade then it resets to 0. same thing could be used for other items like the lamp. I even thought of the message that will appear, it would say: to repair this item further you'll need new parts. 

Let's see now an example of how it will the whole system work:

You have a hatched at 10% with 0% sharpness bar you use whetstone to sharpen it and at some point your  sharpness bar reaches 100% and you get the message: to repair this item further you'll need new parts. So you need to find another hatched and harvest it to get the blade and then use it to reset the sharpness bar to 0%, also you can never harvest a hatched with 100% sharpness bar. With a few balances here and there it would be awesome mechanic. Your idea of 40% could work too but why be linear I'm sure that adding another bar will be not much of a big deal to the Devs right? 

This may sound a little weird, but I want to hug you right now. This system is perfect!

The tools could have a maximum condition that degrades with each use or each repair. They would be repaired a small amount and only up to Its maximum condition with respective resources (cedar or scrap metal, etc) eventually wearing out completely. The whetstone (hatchet head, rifle parts, etc) could be rarer luxury resources that offer a quicker, higher condition repair (and repairs past or renews its "maximum condition").

5 hours ago, Claysmiff1702 said:

The tools could have a maximum condition that degrades with each use or each repair. They would be repaired a small amount and only up to Its maximum condition with respective resources (cedar or scrap metal, etc) eventually wearing out completely. The whetstone (hatchet head, rifle parts, etc) could be rarer luxury resources that offer a quicker, higher condition repair (and repairs past or renews its "maximum condition").

And we are back at the start :)

Archived