daily need

Jurawood

Depends on the kind of meat, but yes, in an environment such as depicted in The Long Dark, the human body needs a LOT of food to survive - wearing heavy clothes, walking mile upon mile all in sub-zero weather. Your body uses food energy (commonly measured in calories) to keep your body functioning AND to keep your body warmth on an acceptable level. So, while the act of eating 5 kilograms of meat in a single day WILL do some rather unsavory things to your digestive tract, the energy gained from doing so is, yes, reflective of reality, as much as I can judge.

If you have the time, here is a wonderful scientific paper on the topic: http://www.nap.edu/read/5197/chapter/1#xv

Also, welcome to the forums Jurawood!

Thank you for welcoming ;)

before a year..I was doing strength training 4 times a week. I understand the need for intake of protein, fats and carbohydrates per day.

count calories in the diet are nonsense...

5 kg of meat per day, equivalent to 1 kg of protein

Eating as the TLD is not possible even on Everest.
First - due to the ability digestion.

Second -If the person has been using digested protein (digested peptides) in an amount of 1 kg of proteins, there would immediately poisoning.

the optimum will be about 500 grams of meat, 1 kg, maybe 2? potatoes, rice (of course other carbohydrates).
I missed fats (someone is proposed in wisches section) in the body are derived from sugars.

(sorry for my EN)

RL venison is 1,500 calories/kg. In game it is 800. In my estimation the weight has more to do with limiting the amount of calories you can easily transport and less to do with the amount of food someone could realistically consume in a given day.  

I have done a number of long distance hikes and generally consume 5,000+ cal a day - no way i could eat the 6.25 kg of in game meat irl. 

I'm 88 kg and I can eat 100 g of meat (easily) about every 4 hours depending on activity. But...that meat is usually grilled fish or chicken.

So if I'm awake at 6 AM and eat right away, I may be hungry at 9 but will definitely be hungry by 10 AM.

Anyhow, if I eat 100 g every 3 hours it's still only 600 g /day, assuming I sleep at 9 PM. This diet is awesome for days I'm being sedentary. On days I'm going to the gym, hiking, or generally being active, 100g meals every three hours is not enough.

Though I can get by on 100 g I prefer 200 g for main meals, and 100 g for in between "snacks."  So recalculated it's still only 600 g for main meals plus 300~400 for snacks.
Still a very low calorie day. And chicken is more filling than fish even though they are the same 100 gram portion size.

Of course that is an all protein/fat diet. We need carbs too so... not much in cattails, right?   It's gotta be the soda cans, peaches, and candy/energy bars. Anyhow I'm getting sidetracked ... :P

After eating more than 2 kg of meat a day.... would be in the game should happen poisoning.

It's absolute nonsense in this great game.
This is my feedback.

Bodybuilders and strongmans eat the most protein.
The tolerance limit is somewhere 2.5 grams of protein / kilogram of body weight.
For 90 kg bodybuilder's 225 grams of protein.
That is 1 kg of meat a day  -maximum !!!  And it can not eat anything containing protein - milk, cheese, beans, eggs ...
Eat more above this threshold causes dementia (urea) and digestive problems,.exhaustion of vitamins and minerals (Zn, Ca) ...

True enough. Protein poisoning will damage you long term. But if it's your only food source you will eat it.

The eat lots of meat to survive is, I think, mostly a consequence of there being limited food resources in the game. Game meat is just the easiest one to have. The fact that 1 kg is 800 calories is probably due to balance. In real life, a deer would give you something on the order of 20-30 kg of meat and a single steak (500 ish grams?) and a potato would be more than enough for a full meal. But if that was in the game you'd only need to hunt one deer ever two months! :silly:

haha, the realism arguments :P

i really want to see one of you gamers packed with 30Kg climbing 40 feet walls, running all the time through lots of snow, fighting wolves and telling stories about how they eat only 1 tomato and maybe 100g of rice every day forstaying healthy :)

If eating and drinking would be like in reality, nobody would play that game because either its not a survival game when you have enough food for a few years to find/hunt, or its the most boring game because there is no loot to be found and all you do is exploring empty maps :P

57 minutes ago, MueckE said:

haha, the realism arguments :P

i really want to see one of you gamers packed with 30Kg climbing 40 feet walls, running all the time through lots of snow, fighting wolves and telling stories about how they eat only 1 tomato and maybe 100g of rice every day forstaying healthy :)

If eating and drinking would be like in reality, nobody would play that game because either its not a survival game when you have enough food for a few years to find/hunt, or its the most boring game because there is no loot to be found and all you do is exploring empty maps :P

Realism does not necessarily have to reflect actual reality. It aims to do so but will always make tradeoffs for gameplay.

I agree that the need for water is too low and the need for food sometimes a bit exaggerated in the game.

That being said, what do you propose to be done about it?

about what?

Jurawood said that 5Kg does not reflect reality and i said that a game doesn't have to reflect reality or its not a game anymore, thats it :P It was no question, nor a problem, it was just smalltalk.

If you argue that a game just is aiming for reflecting reality without wanting to make a complete replicate, than i would say: You have to eat and drink or you will die! That's reality enough.

It is just funny when people try to make their arguments more powerful by using the "reality argument" and than starting to point out this and that. Start googling how many calories this has, or how many days a human can survive without food and so on .... You can find this in every third post here (and in other forums too ofc)

I have a super great idea: From now on, everytime i see this reality-backup-argument i will respond with the postapocalyptic enviroment and the rabbit wolves. There is something in the air that makes everything like it is in the game. Thats why you have to eat so often :)

Fair enough argument ^_^

The "reality arguments" I've encountered fall into two broad categories. The first uses reality to suggest modifications to existing mechanics or proposes new ones in an effort to improve the game. The other uses reality to shoot down and/or belittle other people's idea. I'm in favour of the first. Not so much the second :devil:

In this case the reality would be needing to eat more to stay mobile and probably drink less. However, those mechanics may not be the best game experience. Hence the debate on where to draw the line between what is real (5 kg of pure protein being really bad for you long term) versus what makes a good game (generic food that you need to harvest to simulate survival). I don't see the concepts of reality and the game as being mutually exclusive as a result.

The rate at which you get hungry is just fine, but only 800 calories for an entire kilo of meat? Come on. Have you ever tried to eat a one kilo steak? That's well above 800 calories.

One kilo of cooked rabbit is more like 1300 rather than the 400-500 that it is now.

What's weird though is that a sodacan is 250 calories and a granola bar is 300(iirc). Those values make sense, the meat/fish values do not, way too little at the moment.

Archived