salt

Axtos

sounds good, i think a few gamers have already suggested the use of Salt to cure meat, or a smoker. We could possibly find a salt containers in cabins or somehow harvest salt from nature using evaporation. A smoker house would be cool to add meat to and watch smoke come out of it it. It would also give us view point to find when lost in the dark. Smoke trail.

welcome to the forums, Axtos! and i agree completely to using salt as a preservative. if the long dark does make it to year-round seasons, then what are we gonna do with all of our meat we stockpiled during summer and spring? we need that meat to get us through the long dark winter, but with no way to preserve it, it wouldnt be possible.

Here's how I'd do it, needs only minimal new items: First of all, you find or craft a metal bucket. You can then fill it with salt water at Coastal Highway or Desolation Point, maybe from the ice fishing hole. The bucket holds up to 5l of water, which, of course, adds weight. You then take that bucket to a fire and boil it until it evaporates, which would take a lot time and cost a bunch of fuel. You then use your knife to scrape the salt out of the bucket. Seawater has a salinity of 3-4%, so boiling off 5l of water would result in 15-20 grams of sea salt. However, for preservation purposes you naturally need more, giving the game a good long-time activity.

Archived