Hunting/Blood trail

dbldrew

So I think the current system could use a little tweak. Currently if you hit a deer with an arrow they run like crazy sometimes going back and forth zigzagging all over the place for a long time until they die.

Personally I would like to see something that resembles something a little more realistic. if they are hit in the vitals they will tear off and run 20-50yards before they die. But if they are not hit that hard they will runoff 100-150 yards and then lay down. Now if you are following them and come up on the deer. they will run off again. So you can either sneak up and hope to get another shot. or sneak up and see where the deer is laying down and come back a few hours later once it has died.

I would like to see the blood trail change a little. Not sure if it is a glitch or not but I have been following the trail on a clear day and it just disappears. Not sure if it disappears once the deer has died. But I would like to see the blood slowly disappear over time regardless if the deer has died or not.. the blood is bright red and over time will darken and disappear. and will disappear very quickly if its snowing. 

I would also like to see the whole hunting change. Crouch walking up to a few feet of a deer is unrealistic. make it so you have to use cover. hiding behind trees bushes etc. Maybe on harder settings wind should play a roll as well.

I agree somewhat. I think atm the mechanic is shoot deer, hit is instant death or wounded?

Maybe what as you suggest a couple more wounded states of a kill?

I guess HT are thinking humane clean kills as the first option (like most people) then second run off chase to you find it.

Yes an instant kill doesnt really happen with bow hunting. I had (in real life) a perfect shot where the deer was quartering away from me and the broad head sliced the liver, the right lung, through the heart and just sliced the bottom of the left lung and the deer still bolted ~20 yards before it dropped.

But im ok with instant kills if they want. But yes maybe have a different mechanic for "wounded" deer where a really bad hit could take several hours to die, but a better shot might only take 1/2 hour or so.

On April 9, 2016 at 8:50 AM, dbldrew said:

So I think the current system could use a little tweak. Currently if you hit a deer with an arrow they run like crazy sometimes going back and forth zigzagging all over the place for a long time until they die.

Personally I would like to see something that resembles something a little more realistic. if they are hit in the vitals they will tear off and run 20-50yards before they die. But if they are not hit that hard they will runoff 100-150 yards and then lay down. Now if you are following them and come up on the deer. they will run off again. So you can either sneak up and hope to get another shot. or sneak up and see where the deer is laying down and come back a few hours later once it has died.

I would like to see the blood trail change a little. Not sure if it is a glitch or not but I have been following the trail on a clear day and it just disappears. Not sure if it disappears once the deer has died. But I would like to see the blood slowly disappear over time regardless if the deer has died or not.. the blood is bright red and over time will darken and disappear. and will disappear very quickly if its snowing. 

I would also like to see the whole hunting change. Crouch walking up to a few feet of a deer is unrealistic. make it so you have to use cover. hiding behind trees bushes etc. Maybe on harder settings wind should play a roll as well.

Hi. Yes I have been noticing problems with the blood trails too. I just shot a bear with my bow at the farm house in PV, he ran off and I kept visual sight of him as he ran across the orchard. The blood trail started right where I hit him which is where I stopped to watch him run off. I was there for 5-10 min game time, watching the bear, he never left my sight, and the blood trail just vanished. The weather was clear and I watched him the entire time until he died. 

I have had the same problems in other situations wth deer and wolves, rifle shots and arrows. Some times the blood trails will remain but lately it seems they are disappearing more frequently for no apparent reason. Theoretically you should be able to pick up a blood trail even the next day if weather does not degrade or cover them up. So I would like to see them more persistent and have the ability to track an evening or night time kill the next morning if weather is clear etc.

I like your idea about the deer running off and bedding down, and using cover, it would add some more intensity to the game. For instance hiding behind a hay bail and waiting for the deer to pass is more intense then the current crouch, jump up, and fire method.

These seem to be small adjustments that could really add to the immersion of the game.

One more thing... 

I know this isn't really meant to be a hunting sim and that many people that play are not hunters and that's all cool. But since hunting is part of the game It would make a better experience for me if it were just a little more tuned in like we have been discussing.

Animal behaviour when wounded is pretty clunky at the moment. As you say, they run back and forth like lunatics, seemingly ignoring the player's position, then drop dead somewhere. Following a blood trail often has you retracing your route, and often the blood trail mysteriously vanishes without you having found the corpse.

I shot a bear the other day, and then I just stood there while it went apeshit for about 2 hours, running right past me in close proximity several times in different directions. Eventually I had to retire to my shelter for sleep and when I went out looking for the body a couple of hours later, there he was, ambling along the road without a care in the world, as if nothing had happened, apparently now fully recovered. I was miffed.

Archived