present and future excitement

Rooks_Nemesis

I never thought I could/would get to "feel" like I've been apart of a games development. Sure I've played my share of closed alphas/betas but in the end 90% of the peoples voices where never heard. And then came along The long dark.

I've played this game avidly since it came to Xbox one and it quickly jumped to my top 3 go to games. Even in the Xbox versions current state with saves disappearing/corrupting I'm still sitting here or standing ( thanks for the scares wolves lol ) enjoying myself and furthering my "survival skills" and techniques. I've been waiting and I'm sure other Xbox users have been aswell for some kinda info on an update.. And presently I just went over the news, roadmap and that amazing sneak peak trailer and I'm in awe!

The future of this game is looking amazing and I personally can not wait to start playing. ( and continually play on a save lol )

The level of detail you guys are adding was NOT expected at all but it really shows off how this game is not only cared for but how much dedication is being poured into story mode.

The road map had some twists of its own with the sandbox additions and will more then build up the anticipation of story mode

I'm not exactly sure if this was the proper place to post this. But Thank you guys for this top notch game and the info that was desperately needed!

• Hinterland

Thanks so much for joining us and sharing your thoughts! It's always great to see our Xbox players finding their way here.

We feel really terrible about the ongoing save issues on Xbox, but from our knowledge they've all been addressed by now. If you're still having issues with saves, I hope you'll post them here so we can help you out.

I had some problems with my saves before the hotfix, and after the hotfix lost a game In progress that was already started and saved when the hotfix was live.  Since then I've started multiple games and played a lot and haven't had a single problem, barring a few close to dashboards.  Which occurred when transitioning outside from indoors at different places.  Loving the game! Keep up the great work and I can't wait for the next update! Thank you! 

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎07 at 3:37 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

Thanks so much for joining us and sharing your thoughts! It's always great to see our Xbox players finding their way here.

We feel really terrible about the ongoing save issues on Xbox, but from our knowledge they've all been addressed by now. If you're still having issues with saves, I hope you'll post them here so we can help you out.

Sorry for the long delay with my reply, I have just lost more saves as recently as yesterday. And this time it was on a brand spanking new Xbox one with a fresh download of the game.

I kept pressing on starting on different maps and heres a list of the ones I've lost saves on. Not saying it cant happen on the ones not mentioned, its just yet to happen to me.

MYSTERY LAKE

camp offices: On entry save and sleep save

Trappers: On sleep save

Carters (fluffy floor): On entry save

PLEASANT VALLEY

Farmstead: On entry save and sleep save

TIMBER WOLF

mountaineers hut: On sleep save

after I enter a location I set my timer to 5 minutes ( figuring that's enough time ) do some random things like pack sorting or cooking then quit when the timer goes off.. On reloading the saves have corrupted. I've also tried it on entry just being idle then quitting to the same effect.

with sleeping saves I do the same things with same results.

Now this is not an every time thing, but one thing is for certain if I want to keep playing I need to stay away from those locations at all costs. with the game crashes to dashboard problem.. If that occurs going into one of the above locations it 90% of the time ends up in a corrupt save.

I really hope that this has helped you guys out in some way, but by no means please don't let this take away from my original post. I didnt quite touch on what I ment about feeling like I was apart of the development, yet there it is. Even if it has been just finding bugs etc.

Thanks again guys

True, it is a bummer when a game is lost, even if it's only a couple days or as many as 380.  The game itself, well it's so gosh darn amazing, I grab some more tea and start over again..... Why?  because it's freakin fun that's why!!!

eventually the save issue will be a thing of the past, until then... Play on dudes!!!

thank you again Hinterland team,

the fruits of your labor make lifes roadblocks bearable.  ٩(•,•)۶ ~WhOoP! 

20 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

I'm really concerned to hear about saves still being lost. We'll have a look ASAP. Someone from the team will likely be in touch to see if we can get any more info from you about what may have happened to your save files. Very sorry about this. :(

No apologies necessary! As for alphas go your guys game is amazingly put together! If saves is the worst thing that can happen *knocks on wood* you guys are way ahead of the game so to speak!

When the save kinks are ironed out Ill get to test out some more of my elaborate plans for a long and hopefully not to cold life lol

I'd be more then willing to help out in any way possible. And hopefully I may be able to help!

• Hinterland
4 hours ago, Rooks_Nemesis said:

No apologies necessary! As for alphas go your guys game is amazingly put together! If saves is the worst thing that can happen *knocks on wood* you guys are way ahead of the game so to speak!

When the save kinks are ironed out Ill get to test out some more of my elaborate plans for a long and hopefully not to cold life lol

I'd be more then willing to help out in any way possible. And hopefully I may be able to help!

We're prepping some questions for you to try to diagnose your save loss. Any info you can share would be immensely helpful!

Is this helpful? My general strategy with early system design is to build in instrumentation for debugging purposes. I've never worked on XBox so this is a stab in the dark. http://amd-dev.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wordpress/media/2012/10/08_Profiling_and_Debugging_with_PIX.pdf

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2014/03/20/instrumenting-your-app-for-telemetry-and-analytics/

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb199628.aspx

Google debug Xbox one yields some interesting and worrisome information.

@Rooks_Nemesis Thanks for the detailed information - I using this right now as a test case, so far I've not been able to reproduce this in office. Just a couple quick questions, what version of the dashboard are you one (if you've updated recently you will be on March) and are you always connected to the internet with your Xbox? The main hurdle here is that we can't consistently reproduce this internally to debug, so I'm just trying to exclude differences in conditions.  

I'm apart of the preview program on Xbox one so my console updates sometimes twice a week. When I get home ill try to find the exact version build. And Yes I'm always connected to the net, but now that you mentioned this when my system was offline I cant remember having this issue.

This has also just made me remember somthing else. Now this might be relevant.

sometimes when being chased by a wolf ill try running back into the building I was in or the closest one near me.. But when doing the transition from outside to inside the wolf can still briefly attack while the screen is black, and during the save icon I hear my character taking the damage.

When this happens that save file has always screwed up sooner then later. Maybe a coincidence but its worth mentioning at this point.

I'm always playing on stalker, 8 out of 10 times im playing as female and start on mystery lake and usually lose the file between days 1 to 20

If I avoid Camp office and Carters ( inside ) I can always get more play time out of the save file.

Archived